What is the history of Fano Guitars?

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 833
Hi all,

I own a Fano (arroyo grande) and it's a great guitar. I'd probably like to purchase another one at some point. I saw a recent ad on ebay/reverb (can't remember exactly) and it said it had been built by Dennis in the advert. I sent an email to Dennis (the power of the internet!) and he was 100% clear that he had not been near the guitar because of the simple reason that it had the 'made in arroyo grande' sticker on the rear of the headstock. I didn't contact the seller on the basis that someone who makes false claims should generally be avoided.

I had a look around and the best thing I could find was this summary:
  1. Until 2009: Dennis Fano independent
  2. 2009-2016: Premier Builders Guild - Dennis Fano sells the company to PBG when it's founded in 2009; Fano becomes an employee of PBG and does prototypes and one-offs in his old shop. PBG also purchases Gene Baker's B3 company and set up shop in Arroyo Grande to build all PBG-built instruments.
    • Dennis Fano leaves PBG in 2014 to start Novo Guitars. By this point the only PBG brands are Fano, B3 and Koll.
    • In early 2015 Saul Koll leaves PBG - he had always maintained his solo shop, so the models that PBG built simply revert back to Saul's solo shop.
    • By Spring 2015 PBG shutters the Arroyo Grande facility; they farm out the Fanos to Grover Jackson's G2 facility; Gene Baker takes back his B3 brand and restarts them as his own company.
    • Fano Standard series starts - which I've read contradictory things about the bodies and necks possibly being MIJ and just assembled in the USA - while the Alt de Factos were always 100% USA during this era
  3. 2016-present: Desert Son Music - PBG completely unwinds at the end of 2016, selling Fano to Desert Son Music (based in Scottsdale) and spinning back out Tone King Amps and Two Rock Amps. Desert Son builds all their instruments in-house; they use the name "Standard" for their small-batch production and "Alt de Facto" for custom ordered instruments.
I think when it says he worked in 'his old shop' it means his workshop on the eastern USA, not in california.

All of this means that if a guitar was made in arroyo grande then Dennis had nothing physically to do with it except the use of his design.

Is anyone able to shed any light or add any further info on this?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments