IWFD (incoming white falcon day)

What's Hot
I’m a bit of a Neil Young fan and have always wanted a White Falcon (and a Darryl Hannah for that matter)

Ive had / have plenty of Gretsches but paying top dollar for a WF has always prevented me from going for one.

There was one on Reverb from guitar village yesterday at £2500 and in a moment of weakness I stuck in a bid and I’ve just had an email saying it’s mine .... I’m a little bit in shock tbh !

I wasn’t expecting this and haven’t planned for it financially but I’m going to have to sell one of the current Gretsch herd to pay for it so expect a FS thread for an Eddie Cochran /BroadKaster/Country Gent once I’ve worked out what will need to go.

Not sure what to expect from the WF , I’ve never played one so have I set myself up for disappointment?
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nope, you're already used to Gretsch idiosyncrasies, so you're all set! Worse case, you can just hang it on the wall and stare lovingly at it :love: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 678
    The largest and fruitiest Gretsch, but also the coolest -  no doubt.
    Congrats!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    I’ve never had white falcon, but I did own a black one (Setzer model Black Phoenix). 
    Damn cool guitar, many people say it was the best sounding guitar I ever had. 

Looking forward to the review & photos :)

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    Dammit....just spotted you’re selling the Eddie Cochean.   I had my eye on that. 

Anyone need a kidney?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    Nice. I sold both my Gretsch guitars over the last couple of weeks. Should I ever get another it’d be a WF but it’d have to be a double cut for me with a shallow body. I can’t get on with the big deep body single cuts. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Thanks all and not sure what's for the chop yet Paul tbh, the Neddie  (Not Eddie) is the least like the White Falcon I guess pickup wise,  the Broadkaster is a DC with almost PAFs in it whereas the Country Gent is a single cut big body dual humbucker guitar but its so bloody gorgeous looking that I don't know if I'm ready to sell that yet.

I've used Paypal credit which is the Devils work I know but it gives me a bit of time to have a think . 

A bit like my first date with Jennifer Aniston,  the WF may show up , look gorgeous but not be as much fun as I've dreamed it would be and I'll be disappointed. Can I afford to follow @guitargeek62 's good advice - probably not tbh !
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8360
    Thanks all and not sure what's for the chop yet Paul tbh, the Neddie  (Not Eddie) is the least like the White Falcon I guess pickup wise,  the Broadkaster is a DC with almost PAFs in it whereas the Country Gent is a single cut big body dual humbucker guitar but its so bloody gorgeous looking that I don't know if I'm ready to sell that yet.

I've used Paypal credit which is the Devils work I know but it gives me a bit of time to have a think . 

A bit like my first date with Jennifer Aniston,  the WF may show up , look gorgeous but not be as much fun as I've dreamed it would be and I'll be disappointed. Can I afford to follow @guitargeek62 's good advice - probably not tbh !
    Hate to be the one to break it to you Doc but I ruined Aniston for other men when I dated her.

Hope the Falcon is a cracker!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    Thanks all and not sure what's for the chop yet Paul tbh, the Neddie  (Not Eddie) is the least like the White Falcon I guess pickup wise,  the Broadkaster is a DC with almost PAFs in it whereas the Country Gent is a single cut big body dual humbucker guitar but its so bloody gorgeous looking that I don't know if I'm ready to sell that yet.

Hate to be the one to break it to you Doc but I ruined Aniston for other men when I dated her.

Hope the Falcon is a cracker!
    I did notice she was scratching a lot now I think about it !
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3431
    The only guitar my wife agrees I ‘must’ own someday is a white falcon, I take that to mean that one day I can get away with doing exactly what you’ve just done! =) 
    Must confess I’m a tad jealous but I’m also less worried about my bank balance right now. 
    Looking forward to the NGD update Con.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20596
    Very impressive purchase, you'll love it.
    One of these days I'm hoping to p-p-p-pickup a Penguin.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    edited October 2020
    Thanks chaps - I don’t do NGDs as I’d be posting so many that end up FS 6 weeks later  but for such a work of art I may have to make an exception
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1233
    Pictures Please!
    I love a white falcon!
  • SRichSRich Frets: 765
    edited October 2020
    Congrats Con....this one will be special!

Darryl's busy and Jennifer will get round to you at some point....but you can appreciate the intrinsic beauty of the Falcon all the way thru the coming winter months.

It would be unwise to commit to a longer period of course.....

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    Con. You are an inspiration to us all.  Truly.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    This is some really exciting stuff!! Thrilled you’ve actually got yourself one. :)
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626

I found Jennifer to be great fun....
  • ennspek said:

I found Jennifer to be great fun....
    You must have met her before @Hattigol then, I think she’s still using the cream even now
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's nothing like a White Falcon, I love them
    The big difference being you can actually play one whereas I like watching TV with one draped round my shoulders