Schaller/Gibson TP-6 tailpiece

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
edited October 2020 in Guitar
What's the verdict on these then? I presume they never caught on because, a) they're overly complicated, b) they cost more, and c) they don't look "right". 

I quite like the look of them on some guitars, and the design in principle, but I've never used one. I've got a project in mind that could work quite well with one unless they're definitely something to be avoided. I'm interested to hear the collective wisdom.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15429
    tFB Trader
    The concept obviously comes from the finer tuner format on a Violin Tailpiece arrangement - Maybe on a violin it is a great idea as the old traditional 'peg' in a hole has a less slick gear ratio - I'm not against the concept, but maybe just to big and bulky

One neat option is you can 'de-tune' a fraction if required, whereas with machine heads you always have to go low and back up again

You se them on the BB KIng Lucille

They do work so no negatives on that score
  • I think Lucille's are the only guitar I've ever seen them on in the flesh, as I say - I quite like the look and general 70s vibe, and I assume there's nothing tonally amiss with having them. I might well go for one on the build, as it's in-keeping with the era, even if not historically accurate. :)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Doesn’t Larry Carlton have one on his 335?
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Pretty sure Tony Iommi has a tailpiece like this on his SGs.
  • ^ good enough for me then! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    Nothing wrong with them at all - they work very well. I think they aren’t popular simply because they’re not usually necessary, and don’t look ‘vintage’.

B.B. King may have used one because he was known for winding the entire length of the string onto the tuner post! - so there was a huge coil of over-wrapped string on them. I read an interview with his tech once - he said B.B. insisted on it. Why, I don’t know... but it will have made finely tuning with the keys a bit unpredictable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    Cols said:
    Pretty sure Tony Iommi has a tailpiece like this on his SGs.
    that's a combined bridge/tailpiece, the schaller 456

they are a great unit, but sadly discontinued  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had one on a Les Paul & a mate had one his 345 together with fold out crank handles on the machine heads, that was really cool.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    I had one on a Les Paul & a mate had one his 345 together with fold out crank handles on the machine heads, that was really cool.
    I'm pretty sure the Lucille has (or did have) those too - presumably so B.B. could more easily wind on the miles of string...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boz_hboz_h Frets: 74
    My Lucille has a TP6, to be honest I just ignore it. The only time it has ever been an issue is when one of the tuning screws fell out and got lost.  Gibson were very nice and sent me a replacement.  Can't say if there is any benefit/detriment to tone, and the only aesthetic commented have been about the Varitone.  I didn't know about the BB King string thing, I always wondered why he would want something like this.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1089
    edited October 2020
    Alvin Lee had one on Big Red. That’s enough for me.