Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA - Prime Day String Deals

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    mark123 said:
    mark123 said:
    Bargain - the coated acoustic strings are cheap too at £14 for 3 sets
    any links please? had a quick look but can't see them.
    Found them but a few reviews say they recieved fake sets so may give it a miss.

I stick to the ones Amazon sell themselves, and steer clear of the third party sellers.

I haven't bought any today as I stocked up in the Strings Direct deal a couple of weeks ago.  Good timing from Strings Direct - wonder if it was deliberate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    Nice...thanks for the heads up! Had ordered earlier at £12odd...so cancelled and reordered at this price! 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    Philtre said:
    Nice...thanks for the heads up! Had ordered earlier at £12odd...so cancelled and reordered at this price! 
    That's what I did. :-)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    crikey - worth me buying a 100 sets at that price - Cheaper than buying from D'addario and I can get £15 all the time for a 3D set in store
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    crikey - worth me buying a 100 sets at that price - Cheaper than buying from D'addario and I can get £15 all the time for a 3D set in-store
    plus  I re-string and set-up 10-20 guitars a week so ideal for such work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    edited October 2020
    Thanks to everyone for the heads up !  :)
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    Has anyone seen any deals for heavier gauge strings?
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Some great deals here, but I'm going to order from my local shop and pay the extra... not to be all high and mighty of course, but my local shop could do with the trade I'd imagine.  
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    edited October 2020
    I'm so tempted to buy some, but the last two years of me buying D'Addario strings has been a bad experience, they either unravel at the ball end or break super easily.

I have not bought any fakes and they have replaced loads of them for me, but their quality control is in the toilet for me the last few years.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    stonevibe said:
    I'm so tempted to buy some, but the last two years of me buying D'Addario strings has been a bad experience, they either unravel at the ball end or break super easily.

I have not bought any fakes and they have replaced loads of them for me, but their quality control is in the toilet for me the last few years.
    I don't doubt your experience for a second, but I chuckled because since the start of this year I've been buying D'addarios because I felt like I was breaking Ernie Balls more than I used to, and sometimes strings were arriving with kinks/ spots of rust on them.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    I gave up on Ernie Balls in the '90s, their QC is non-existent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    I've always found D'Addario's to be fine. They can unravel at the ball end on Jaguars and Jazzmasters, but a blob of solder on the wraps on the high E and B sorts it. And customer support is excellent (and great support from @Adji )
  • Philtre said:
    I've always found D'Addario's to be fine. They can unravel at the ball end on Jaguars and Jazzmasters, but a blob of solder on the wraps on the high E and B sorts it. And customer support is excellent (and great support from @Adji )
    Had them un ravel on a parker fly and a 345 as well.

Funnily enough 10s seem to suffer more than 11s in my experience 

Jags and jazzmasters are fine if you pass a file through the eyelet of the bridge tailpiece 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • NickLNickL Frets: 160
    None of my preferred gauges are in the offer.

And no bass strings at all that I can see.
    Just picked up a set of EXL165 45-105 roundwound bass strings for £13.56 (over £9 cheaper than Strings Direct), if that's any use to you.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    I ordered 15 sets of d'addarios today. Felt a bit dirty but whatevs. I use d'addario and I haven't broken a string since 2010, maybe I'm just lucky
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    roberty said:
    I ordered 15 sets of d'addarios today. Felt a bit dirty but whatevs. I use d'addario and I haven't broken a string since 2010, maybe I'm just lucky
    Don’t think I’ve changed a string since 2010. I’m just too mean. :open_mouth: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    JerkMoans said:
    roberty said:
    Strings are like underwear, they get dirty after a few weeks
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    roberty said:
    JerkMoans said:
    roberty said:
    Strings are like underwear, they get dirty after a few weeks
    Might try selling some on Craigslist :naughty: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 413
    D'Addario 10-46 strings now £9.99 for 3-pack on Amazon! Get in!!!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?