Raising a nut?

What's Hot
In my ongoing quest to learn the basics of guitar repair I bought a new Tusq nut for my LTD EC256 as I’m putting lighter strings on it. 

I got the old nut off ok but the new one (pre cut) is slightly too low and the strings hit the first fret. To be fair the frets are pretty chunky on LTDs though. 

I tried shimming it with a slice of credit card but it was too high. I’ve currently stuck a couple of thin bits of cardboard underneath which has raise it to what seems an appropriate height, but obviously this isn’t a permanent solution. 

Is there any (easily available) material that’s recommended for this type of thing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited October 2020
    Put a TINY bit of tin foil into the grove and then add some nut sauce or graphite into it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    you can either shim from underneath with something suitably hard.  a piece of hardwood veneer works well,  or fill the slot with baking powder and super glue.   As with all nut work, expect to do some adjustments 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    Super glue doesn't stick very well to Tusq in my experience, better user a thin shim underneath. Paper soaked in super glue works.
  • Sorry to piggy back on your thread, but does anyone have a method of raising the height of 1 slot? I have a cheap SG copy where the G string slot has been cut a fraction too low and it buzzes all over the place.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 428
    edited October 2020
    Sorry to piggy back on your thread, but does anyone have a method of raising the height of 1 slot? I have a cheap SG copy where the G string slot has been cut a fraction too low and it buzzes all over the place.
    Superglue and baking soda works well, apparently.
    https://hazeguitars.com/blog/repairing-nuts-with-superglue-and-baking-soda
  • So I’m thinking the best way would be to raise it from the bottom. I’ve no experience in filing nuts and no files!

I think maybe the paper and super glue idea might work best and I could gradually build the layers up until it’s just right. 

Is there a recommended string height for the first fret? I currently have the low E at just over 2mm on the 12th fret but with the credit card shim the action felt too high all down the neck so I’m hoping to lower it a bit. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    longjaw said:
    Sorry to piggy back on your thread, but does anyone have a method of raising the height of 1 slot? I have a cheap SG copy where the G string slot has been cut a fraction too low and it buzzes all over the place.
    Superglue and baking soda works well, apparently.
    https://hazeguitars.com/blog/repairing-nuts-with-superglue-and-baking-soda
    I did this a couple of months ago and it worked very well!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    So I’m thinking the best way would be to raise it from the bottom. I’ve no experience in filing nuts and no files!

I think maybe the paper and super glue idea might work best and I could gradually build the layers up until it’s just right. 

Is there a recommended string height for the first fret? I currently have the low E at just over 2mm on the 12th fret but with the credit card shim the action felt too high all down the neck so I’m hoping to lower it a bit. 
    nut files are essential to getting this right I'm afraid, but you will get close by doing a layer of paper and glue at a time.

The nut slot is the correct height when the string just clears the first fret by a knat's whisker, when fretted at the 3rd.  

You should set the nut height totally independent of any other set-up measurements. Do the nut first, then neck relief ... then bridge/saddle height to set your action
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • YulawYulaw Frets: 3
    Small piece of card suck in the nut slot did the trick on my Gibson, can't hear any difference in tone or sustain.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 237
    WezV said:

The nut slot is the correct height when the string just clears the first fret by a knat's whisker, when fretted at the 3rd.  

You should set the nut height totally independent of any other set-up measurements. Do the nut first, then neck relief ... then bridge/saddle height to set your action
    ah finally a clear set of instructions, thanks!

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    Raising a nut? I think Stanley Johnson might be the expert on that. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom