Bench-top planers / planer-thicknessers

Hi 

I might just have enough room (and finances)  to squeeze in a planer into my shed guitar making set up , after moving out my smaller bandsaw. 
I definitely don't have room for a decent floor mounted planer. 

Does anyone use a bench top planer/thicknesser and have any recommendations on model and brand etc? 

I have been thinking about the DeWalt733 after having a good experience with the DeWalt745 Table saw. 

cheers
Pete

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27945
    I bought one of these many years ago (when it was a fair bit cheaper!);
    https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/makita-2012nb-planer-thicknesser-240v-pid39699.html

It's done the job well over the years.  Is reasonably compact for storage, and isn't too heavy to lift onto a bench (it lives underneath) when I want to use it.

The blades are double-edged (I found out recently) which is handy.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    I used to have a bigger 10X6 planer thicknesser i got second hand, but it took up far too much room and the planer bit always took a lot of setting up again after using it as a thicknesser.

I replaced it with a thicknesser similar to Tony's when it broke, much happier with that set-up
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Many thanks both - I think I will have to bite the bullet and buy something similar. not much around second hand near me so may have to find a good price on a new Makita/DeWalt or Metabo I think. 

Not sure if the much cheaper ( by c £200 ) Triton version is any good - the motor looks underpowered in comparison to the ones above. 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    Book marked because I’ve got a similar decision to make
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Reading a couple of reviews the DeWalt gets a pretty good write up for its twin speed - with the lower speed producing very good surface finishes apparently.  
    I'm looking at the dimensions carefully as I'm just trying to weigh up whether I could build an mdf caddy/station to have the table saw on the upper level and the planer under it and make it wheelable around the workshop. 

PeteC said:
    Many thanks both - I think I will have to bite the bullet and buy something similar. not much around second hand near me so may have to find a good price on a new Makita/DeWalt or Metabo I think. 

Not sure if the much cheaper ( by c £200 ) Triton version is any good - the motor looks underpowered in comparison to the ones above. 

Mine is the triton.    It hasn't struggled with anything yet with semi regular use over the last 4 years.   its not struggled with any of the usual guitar woods I have thrown at it

It cuts really cleanly, seems very accurate and gives nice shavings with no dust to speak of.
    Thanks Wez.   Well if it’s good enough for your builds it’s certainly good enough for mine!  
    Roland said:
    Book marked because I’ve got a similar decision to make
    I'd be interested to know what you find/decide @Roland ;

Online reviews are a bit contradictory on some machines. 

cheers

@WezV’s choice looks good. I’ve seen the underpowered comments. I’ve also seen positive comments about the depth control on the Triton compared with competitors. I don’t doubt that for occasional guitar making it’s a good choice. 

My needs are wider than just guitars. For example, I’ve got a stock of oak and apple which, at some point, I want to turn into cutting boards. I’m also a believer in not buying a tool until you actually need it. So I’ve held off my decision. With Christmas presents to make this might be the right time.
    edited October 2020
    i have currently lent it to my dad to do some big reclaimed beams.   It shouldn't struggle with the wood as they are pine, and thankfully seem to be nail free and nice and dry..  although I am curious to see how it copes with the higher volume, i think chip removal might become an issue without decent extraction.

I am a believer in buying the best tool you can afford, but sadly my budget over the years hasn't always matched my needs  
    In my case the best tool would require a bigger workshop, and I’ve decided not to do that.
    I'm really looking for one which will do thin laminates for necks nicely , true up larger neck blanks, flatten fretboard blanks and thickness them to 1/4" , as well as flatten body blanks ( 2-piece halves, that is  ) 

I guess all the machines will handles the smaller , more delicate/precise tasks OK ? 

• I guess all the machines will handles the smaller , more delicate/precise tasks OK ? 

I can't see why they wouldn't, especially at 1/4" / 6mm. My planer struggles from 3mm as the wood tends to disintegrate, but 6mm should be fine. 

Be cool if you can get a helix spiral block for the bench top planers. I have that on my planer and the finish (and noise reduction!) is lovely. 
    edited October 2020
    Yeah, mine chewed up the last bit of mahogany  I tried to do at 3mm, but it was very brittle.   Its handles 6mm fine.

If in doubt, small passes
  • You can tape it down to a board / sled, but sometimes that still doesn't work! I suppose at that thin that's when you need a speed sander : )