Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Am Pro II - new finishes

What's Hot

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    edited October 2020
    It's a new string tree and not an 'old school' one and also new strap buttons. I think the pictures make the string tree look ike the old ones, but it is a new shape. I''l take a picture from an angle for you and post it here.

https://imgur.com/AstS8Wc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Here's what the pot looks like on the Tele. Less of an issue than on the Strat, I suspect. 

So nobody cares about Jaguargate? I guess that justifies the decision...  
    Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/

I mentioned this in my write up of the new series on Gearnews, also no WRHB pickups on Tele Deluxe. Seems like a dumb move.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749

I assume you mean the removal of the Jag from the line? I can’t imagine anyone cares much - Jags are awesome but the old Am Pro Jaguar was a bit weird. I asssume most offset fans would rather have an AO or a cheaper MIM one for modding.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Yeah, apparently the old Am Pro Jag was way less popular than the JM. 

There's also the Marr option, of course. 
    Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2413
    I've heard the Marr is being discontinued. Hopefully not.

Yep....YouTube full of people getting new instruments that in no way influences me to buy one. In fact, it put me off hearing more about them. 

I wonder if the Jazzmaster has actual Jazzmaster pickups this time, instead of Strat ish pickups in the JM covers like the Pro I range. Also, a big shame to stop the Jaguar....

I've heard the Marr is being discontinued. Hopefully not.

Yep....YouTube full of people getting new instruments that in no way influences me to buy one. In fact, it put me off hearing more about them. 

I wonder if the Jazzmaster has actual Jazzmaster pickups this time, instead of Strat ish pickups in the JM covers like the Pro I range. Also, a big shame to stop the Jaguar....

V-Mod II pickups in Jazzmaster
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    stonevibe said:

I mentioned this in my write up of the new series on Gearnews, also no WRHB pickups on Tele Deluxe. Seems like a dumb move.
    Nah, not dumb, tactical. I'm 100% sure we'll see an AO Tele Deluxe, probably around when the instead-of-Winter-NAMM announcements will happen, it will have the CuNiFes, and it will cost more...
    These Strats to my ears sound really thin with this 2 point bridge. Even Bohlinger's demo sounds thin to me.

• MarchMarch Frets: 300
    stonevibe said:
    These Strats to my ears sound really thin with this 2 point bridge. Even Bohlinger's demo sounds thin to me.

This was my complaint about the V-Mod pickups in the original Pro Series Strats, they just sounded thin. I ended up making a new scratchplate with two BKP True Grits in the neck and middle and a Brute Force single in the bridge for one of my two Pro Series Strats, now it sounds anything but thin!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14265

Here's what the pot looks like on the Tele. Less of an issue than on the Strat, I suspect. 

That would annoy me, no deal.

I got to try a couple about an hour after their launch yesterday, more out of luck than judgement, the range went on sale at 2pm yesterday afternoon and I arrived to pick up a new guitar at GuitarGuitar Newcastle at 3pm. The neck profie feels no different to the previous gen Pro Series, which is a plus in my book, I really like that profile. The rolled steel block definitely adds a little more zing acoustically. I did not plug either of the two I tried in, but like the subtle upgrades and whilst the colours may not be to everyones tastes, at least they are bolder than the previous generations. I have a HH Gen 1 Pro Series Strat in sonic grey and whilst I like the guitar, I do dislike that colour.

My main gripe is at the price point, why has Fender not started fitting locking tuners as standard? Although that is just a personal preference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

I find that all so cringey.

Don't know why people log on to YouTube to intentionally watch a bunch of adverts by egomaniacs.

Even if that's being harsh on the YouTube presenters, there's no denying it's just adverts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2413
    Still not just JM pickups.... I've no idea why...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    March said:
    I got to try a couple about an hour after their launch yesterday, more out of luck than judgement, the range went on sale at 2pm yesterday afternoon and I arrived to pick up a new guitar at GuitarGuitar Newcastle at 3pm. The neck profie feels no different to the previous gen Pro Series, which is a plus in my book, I really like that profile. The rolled steel block definitely adds a little more zing acoustically. I did not plug either of the two I tried in, but like the subtle upgrades and whilst the colours may not be to everyones tastes, at least they are bolder than the previous generations. I have a HH Gen 1 Pro Series Strat in sonic grey and whilst I like the guitar, I do dislike that colour.

My main gripe is at the price point, why has Fender not started fitting locking tuners as standard? Although that is just a personal preference.
    How did the back of the neck feel? 

They seem to advertise it as being a new type of satin finish. 

I dont generally like satin or matte necks, I’m an odd one that prefers gloss, but my am pro from 2019 is ok.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    skunkwerx said:
    March said:

I dont generally like satin or matte necks, I’m an odd one that prefers gloss, but my am pro from 2019 is ok.
    That is odd, you oddball :)
    skunkwerx said:
    March said:

Very smooth and comfortable although I did not perceive any real change from the previous Pro Series, maybe you would you had the two side by side. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    thegummy said:
    skunkwerx said:
    March said:

That is odd, you oddball :)
    Haha weird right? 

I think I’ve found satin ones to ‘gum’ up, being the best way I can describe it, in the areas I handle most. Not particularly badly, but once I’ve felt it, its there and annoys!

No amount of cleaning ever removes it. 
    On my gloss types I can just polish them off and they’re back to normal. But I guess I havent found them to be particularly prohibitive in the first place as I know some do with glossy necks.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Still not just JM pickups.... I've no idea why...

Because they still see the Am Pro JM as a gateway drug for Strat-botherers?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    I prefer gloss-ish necks too. Modern satin necks tend to get a bit more shiny where you play them most which means they don’t have consistent slipperiness all the way up the neck. I think?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires