Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What am I missing - strats and teles

What's Hot
Found myself flicking through the rate my guitar thread, and wondering to myself "what am I missing, about what makes strats and teles so popular?"
They're just so plain and boring, i dont get it.
So...
What am i missing? 
Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Taste?
    26reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    edited October 2020
    That they get the job done? And they get it done well?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I should have mentioned that I get the functionality aspect. I'm talking from a looks perspective.
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Found myself flicking through the rate my guitar thread, and wondering to myself "what am I missing, about what makes strats and teles so popular?"
    So...
    What am i missing? 
    Not everything appeals to everyone.
    I personally find les pauls as dull as dishwater but I wouldn't start a thread about it. It has too much potential to come across as a troll thread.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    I don't get it either. They get the job done, but in the least exciting way possible for me. 
  • If you don't like them, you're not missing owt ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    edited October 2020
    A Telecaster is the guitar Marie Kondo would choose. PRS models with crazy tops and loads of mini toggles would not spark joy. It is a minimalist guitar that can dial in just about any sound you can possibly ever need, and it is made for the cheapest possible price. It’s hard not to admire that. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Found myself flicking through the rate my guitar thread, and wondering to myself "what am I missing, about what makes strats and teles so popular?"
    So...
    What am i missing? 
    Not everything appeals to everyone.
    I personally find les pauls as dull as dishwater but I wouldn't start a thread about it. It has too much potential to come across as a troll thread.
    Maybe I should delete it?
    Not trolling, just seeing if I'm alone or not 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    I actually like the fact that they are, on the whole, fairly plain, functional, and workmanlike. I wouldn’t want anything that is too ornate or blingy.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    strats only seem boring to some because they are so numerous and have been around so long, If you saw one in the 50's it was like something from another planet.  more modern designs dont really offer any improvement they are just variations on a theme
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • All the paisley teles in the world: "Am I a joke to you??"
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    I'm inclined to agree about strats. The least imagination choice of guitar
  • I just cant get excited when I see one. I'm not particularly blingy, but I do like a nice piece of figured wood. And some of the stuff some independents make is amazing, and still kind of simplistic and minimal. 
    I do have a lesser hatred towards teles in fairness lol
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    I once said that the Telecaster is ugly looking guitar and I found Strats really boring, mostly because everyone has one.  Which is why I gravitate towards PRS at the beginning.  The flame top, the wacky colours and they all look like art pieces with the fancy birds inlays and really shiny finish.

After a while though, you realise it doesn't matter, and you appreciate more of their longevity and original designs and that they are classic and just work.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 638
     :o 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
     ‘When a man is tired of a Strat, he is tired of life.’ Samuel Johnson.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    Fishboy7 said:
    But it was invented with a huge amount of imagination, look at what else was around in 1954! There was nothing else like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    I should have mentioned that I get the functionality aspect. I'm talking from a looks perspective.
    Each to their own I guess. I don’t like vinegar on my chips but most people do.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Fishboy7 said:
    But it was invented with a huge amount of imagination, look at what else was around in 1954! There was nothing else like it.
    And before what else was around at the time was invented there was nothing like that
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    They're musical instruments, not ornaments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom