Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What am I missing - strats and teles

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Ubiquitous not boring. They sound fucking amazing, just listen to rock/pop history. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    Found myself flicking through the rate my guitar thread, and wondering to myself "what am I missing, about what makes strats and teles so popular?"
    They're just so plain and boring, i dont get it.
    So...
    What am i missing? 

Silly boy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    In fifty-odd years of playing, I've never had a Telecaster (never fancied one), and only had one Stratocaster.  I loved its looks (Strat Plus in CAR with maple neck), but the bloody volume knob is in the wrong place for me, so it went.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A Tele is a beautiful woman without all the complicated underwear.

I'm not entirely sure what that makes a Strat... maybe a lingerie catalogue?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Aesthetic preference and taste doesn't work like that - there can't be a concept that can be explained to you that will make you like the way something looks.

In other words, there's not some secret I know about Fenders that makes me prefer the look of them to guitars you'd probably not describe as boring, we just have different tastes.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Nitefly said:
    In fifty-odd years of playing, I've never had a Telecaster (never fancied one), and only had one Stratocaster.  I loved its looks (Strat Plus in CAR with maple neck), but the bloody volume knob is in the wrong place for me, so it went.

For me the Tele is one of the most beautiful guitars of all time, it's a work of art.

But its thing - the bright twang thing - doesn't appeal to me so I'll never have one. A hot baseplated Strat bridge pickup is as close as I'd ever want to get to the Tele bridge sound.

I'd never tire of looking at them though.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    A Strat (or Les Paul, Tele, SG etc - any of the classic/iconic guitars) can never be dull or boring. 

Too much of history has been written or imagined or affected by and with the help of these instruments. 

They are of an era that has aged gracefully, that seemed so much simpler and that seemed to have fewer boundaries. 

A Strat (et al) can never be dull. It has too much attached to it. It’s the pinnacle of blue collar. It is so much more than the familiar shape of the body and the headstock. It’s character. It’s personality. 

It’s an instrument that reacts directly proportionally to what you put in. 

It’s the smoky bars, the sweaty rehearsals, the big stages, the sweetness, the screaming rasp, (one of) the instrument(s) that perfectly encapsulates and embodies everything that is good with the world. It’s an enabler of many things. It’s the quintessential tool of the story teller, the creator, the virtuoso, the beginner. It’s like a time machine that takes you to a place of feeling like you are at one with musical history. 

A Strat has its flaws. But that makes it human. That’s what gives it it’s soul. 

It’s ok to not find them easy to play. They can seem cumbersome at times, but when you play a good one, everything just seems to make sense. 

A Strat can never be dull. Common? Yes. Dull? Never. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633

• But any of the things mentioned can applied to any guitar (except history). You play a guitar, it develops character. And why can you get them with humbuckers in the bridge now? That's changing the sound is it not? Hell, I could build an LP and make it sound like a strat, and even use the same control setup, bridge, neck shape. What then? 
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3806
    Each to their own I guess. I don’t like vinegar on my chips but most people do.

Right stop this - it's gone too far.

I can put up with someone not 'getting' a Strat or the PRS hating and the whole valves vs modelling handbags at 5 paces that goes on on this forum, but this has overstepped the mark.

Heretic !!!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8360
    I often think whilst watching Hendrix play a Strat, this is 'plain and boring'.

......said nobody. Ever.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
    edited October 2020
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    You don't have to like everything. I like Strats & Teles but not pointy or metally stuff. It'd be rubbish if everyone liked the same stuff.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thats not strengthened the case for the strat fella
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    I like Tele's for their classic simplicity. It's just an iconic elegant design
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • Thats not strengthened the case for the strat fella
    Its the only Strat Ive ever found I like the look of. i cant stand block colours - I need to see wood, though it doenst have to be overly blingy.

The pic wasnt to "strengthen" the strat cause lol - it was to show the OP you CAN get them more aesthetically pleasing should you wish.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    I like both of them, they are masterpieces of design given when they were created, and they’ve been used on countless classic records, including many of my favourites... but they’re not the be-all and end-all of guitars, they do have design flaws, and I’m not personally interested in owning either of them without some improvements.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strats and Teles have never appealed to me. They seem very mass market knocked together things - designed to be made as cheaply as possible. Which makes the very expensive versions seem very odd. 

But they have loads of history, lots of people love them, so horses for courses. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5228
    tone1 said:
     ‘When a man is tired of a Strat, he is tired of life.’ Samuel Johnson.
    And The Deer Hunter, sort of.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    tone1 said:
     ‘When a man is tired of a Strat, he is tired of life.’ Samuel Johnson.
    "When a man is tired of a Strat, he is tired of a Strat."

Merlin
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom