Gretsch bridges

barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 705
Wondered, after seeing @DrCornelius NGD post, if the Gretsch users here have a strong preference for one type of bridge over another?

I think it's neat that all the different varieties are still used, but I say that as someone who has never played any Gretsch long enough for the bridge design to grow on me or begin to irritate me particularly.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    I've not tried multiple options but I fitted a Compton on the Electomatic I had and it was a huge improvement. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    In my experience, the Compton and TruArc bridges do a fabulous job and I’ve used several of them. The best two Gretschs I’ve ever played though both had the Space Control bridge on. It definitely wouldn’t be the one I’d pick just seeing the various options but it seems I really like it. 
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 705
    dazzajl said:
    The best two Gretschs I’ve ever played though both had the Space Control bridge on. It definitely wouldn’t be the one I’d pick just seeing the various options but it seems I really like it. 
    Often the way, isn't it. Never encountered one, but I feel reasonably sure I wouldn't get on with the Synchrosonic. Looks like it must be a lumpy old thing under the hand.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited October 2020
    Space control does have smooth bigsby action but in other respects like intonation and rattle its not good. Tru-arc serpentune
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 478
    edited October 2020
    I like the “ rocking bar” bridge on my Country Classic. I have a Compton on an old 5120, (to which I’ve also fitted  Gretsch Filtertons), that is also a nice bridge.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2481
    barnstorm said:
    Never encountered one, but I feel reasonably sure I wouldn't get on with the Synchrosonic. Looks like it must be a lumpy old thing under the hand.
    They are. I had one on my 57 Duo Jet and found it quite uncomfortable for palm damping. I persevered with it for originality's sake.

One good thing about the Synchrosonic however was that it could be intonated for a wound 3rd (my preference on a Gretsch) whereas other Gretsch bridges including TrueArc and Compton are made to suit a plain 3rd.