spraying a guitar body with car paints/varnish?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    edited November 2020
    @Jalapeno Nice job there sir. I'm now pondering sanding back the Montana varnish and replacing it with nitro.

The first hurdle is sanding carefully enough so as not to damage the Posca pen artwork (don't mind if it goes a bit distressed/relic'y though).

The second hurdle will be spraying in the garage as the weather gets colder. Might be PM'ing you with a few questions prior to putting in an order pretty soon if that's okay @SteveRobinson?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    mikem8634 said:
    @Jalapeno Nice job there sir. I'm now pondering sanding back the Montana varnish and replacing it with nitro.

The first hurdle is sanding carefully enough so as not to damage the Posca pen artwork (don't mind if it goes a bit distressed/relic'y though).

The second hurdle will be spraying in the garage as the weather gets colder. Might be PM'ing you with a few questions prior to putting in an order pretty soon if that's okay @SteveRobinson?

Can't help you - I did it in the summer ! =)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7122
    tFB Trader
    mikem8634 said:
    Might be PM'ing you with a few questions prior to putting in an order pretty soon if that's okay @SteveRobinson?
    Any time thanks
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    I recently bought a couple of Chinese strat copies to renovate for my wife (an artist) to do her thing on the bodies. Both were red with white scratchplates. One was a 3/4 size, the other full. I decided to rub back the headstocks and remove the generic names so my wife could sign them. 

That was when I realised the two guitars were slightly different shades of red. Making shade judgements using the plastic can tops was pointless but then I discovered Autopaint in Bolton - I think they're a big chain. I took both bodies into them and a couple of days later they mixed a large spray can to match each guitar - and believe me they really do match.

Not cheap - about £15 each but right on the job.