Tool for intricate cutting

What's Hot
SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
edited November 2020 in Making & Modding
I’m looking to buy a tool for cutting intricate shapes out of wood such as ebony, maple, rosewood and oak. It’s for a weird avante garde instrument. Do you think an ordinary handheld scrollsaw would do the job or is it worth investing in one of those electric ‘hobbyist’ saws? Any other tools which would do the job? 

Edit: they’re 330mm x 30mm x 5mm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    They look awesome. Not heard of those before. coping saw Would do it, lots of finishing I guess. How thick are the blanks? 
    Electric would make it more enjoyable! That said, depending on thickness of the blank, the hand coping saws can be pretty fast. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited October 2020
    Average thickness is about 5-6mm

brucegill said:
    Electric would make it more enjoyable! That said, depending on thickness of the blank, the hand coping saws can be pretty fast. 

brucegill said:

You’ll fly through those. No really need for electric. Just needs a deep throat I guess dependant on shape
    edited October 2020
    brucegill said:

brucegill said:

You’ll fly through those. No really need for electric. Just needs a deep throat I guess dependant on shape
    Cool, I was hoping that i could away with a basic coping saw. I had to google deep throat, which returned some unsavoury results, but I got it in the end. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    How many are you going to make? An electric scroll saw is quicker than a coping saw, which you’ll appreciate if you’re making lots of them, and it can cut several layers at the same time. It’s also more precise, and gives a smoother cut, because you can focus 100% on guiding the piece rather than your sawing motion. Of course it will cost more too.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited November 2020
    Hmm, I had it in mind to build a set of about 50 or so, but I think I’ll just make do 15 or so for now by hand and see if that’s sufficient. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    If those pieces are the length I suspect they are, I think it is going to be a fretsaw, not a coping saw, that you will need.  A fret saw has a much longer throat which you will probably need for some of those internal and external curves.

But - even though I am a keen handtools user...I always use planes and chisels where I can rather than, say, a router...for 50 or even 15 of those shapes in some of those woods, then even the cheapest of 16" electric scroll saws will be so much quicker and easier than using a hand saw...