Crack in base of output valve should I test in amp see if it works or is it too risky

kipplekipple Frets: 357
edited October 2020 in Making & Modding
I recently bought 2 output valves 6l6GC both work fine, The Seller said he would include 2 spares and stated condition unknown as he had no way of testing them. both were 6l6GC and both have a crack in the base. The valves seem physically stable the glass part is not loose or wobbly  in the base but I'm not sure about putting them in my amp to test them to see if they work as I don't want my amp going tits up.  Should I just leave them well alone or give it a shot. I can put them in a bias meter when the amp comes om see if they go ballistic but I'm wondering if they might blow something in the amp soon as I take it off standby
See one of them in the pic they are both Sylvania 6L6GC 
https://i.imgur.com/H61qvNs.jpg

I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    They'll be fine, the plastic is an entirely non-functional part of the valve other than just to hold things in place. They do go brittle with age eventually - or heat, but there's no sign of overheating on the plate, you would see a discoloured area if it was that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kipplekipple Frets: 357
    ICBM said:
    They'll be fine, the plastic is an entirely non-functional part of the valve other than just to hold things in place. They do go brittle with age eventually - or heat, but there's no sign of overheating on the plate, you would see a discoloured area if it was that.
    Ok thanks that's good to know as I paid for 2 and had the other 2 for free. I tested the 2 without cracks and they sound really great.
    Cheers Ian
    I put peoples heads in horse's beds