Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

WezV Hollowbody

What's Hot

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    Beautiful work Wez, as always. I think it's your best work to date.....When can it be mine?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    @Wez superb work as always 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    That looks very cool = I'm a bit of a fan of the 50's ES125 styling - I like that cross over period of blues/swing/jazz/rock n roll etc - The issue with many vintage style guitars is they look cool etc but are 'backwards' when it comes to the playing experience - I have and love my PRS Hollowbody, but its biggest negative is it has no character - Your Hollowbody looks just the ticket 

Some very talented guys here on FB
    This one will play very much like a normal les paul thanks to the neck join.   It also changes the tone quite a bit compared to a more traditionally designed hollowbody join.

I'm actually quite happy with the acoustic tone as it is.  The sycamore is not as loud as a spruce top could be, but it sounds a lot better acoustically than I expected from something this small... and that staple pickup seems to translate its natural tone perfectly
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    It looks an absolute dream
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    merlin said:
    Beautiful work Wez, as always. I think it's your best work to date.....When can it be mine?
    Fight you for it.  Car park.  60 seconds.  Anything goes except biting and bottles.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Great looking guitar.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16678
    Lovely .......got a very B and G Little Sister type vibe going on there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    The big difference is they are a chambered thinline.  Normal chambered electric construction with some vintage acoustic/archtop aesthetics

Wide sky make some similar models and they recently did a single pickup one that on the surface looks very similar to this idea, but again its a chambered electric rather than fully hollow

Nothing wrong with that, except I have been trying to classify my build in my head and struggling.   Those styles above are great examples of chambered electrics.  Not sure mine fits in the same category, but I certainly get the visual comparison. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5033
    Yes, difficult to categorise - Les Paul meets ES-225?
    Call me Dave.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 921
    Dominic said
    This is the guitar the Little Sister wishes it was
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2020
    DB1 said:
    Yes, difficult to categorise - Les Paul meets ES-225?
    And the 225 is the laminated hollowbody/thinline category... which mine doesn't fit in either D 

Trude said:
    Dominic said

The chambered approach does mean the guitars will be a lot more feedback resistant.   Not tested mine in anger yet, but expect it to be close to the laminated hollowbodies in that regard (not great), but the solid sycamore top should be a bit more resistant than the solid spruce on a proper archtop
    edited October 2020
    Trude said:
    Dominic said

Different things really - my Little Sister has a real electric parlour feel to it, but Wez's looks more grown-up and meaty. Definitely room for both here.  Just saying. :)
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I have been comparing to those myself,  but only because I wonder what this odd little thing i have built would actually suit. 

Not in any way to say my idea is better, I actually think most modern guitarists would be better off with the chambered electric approach  ;)

I built this one because the idea interested me, ansd allowed me to practice some skills for future, more challenging builds 
    If you wanted to A/B with a Little Sister Private Build (non cutaway, P90's) I'm often on the A38 going from Stafford to see my dad in Derby. Again, just saying. :)
    Call me Dave.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20597
    WezV said:
    Yeah, I have been comparing to those myself,  but only because I wonder what this odd little thing i have built would actually suit. 

Not in any way to say my idea is better, I actually think most modern guitarists would be better off with the chambered electric approach  ;)

I built this one because the idea interested me, ansd allowed me to practice some skills for future, more challenging builds 
    Bonny lad, you did your own thing & just because your creation looks slightly like 'another guitar shaped thing' then people tend to look to find conversational reference points & will go on to make comparisons.
    Nothing at all wrong or unusual there but you really don't have to bother to explain your thought processes or ideas ... unless you wanted to  ;)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    Turned out great. Brilliant job...what’s next on the list?
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    I like my little sisters but this is a different beast the man bent the sides carved the top etc etc. B&G seem a far more obvious approach.

As always yourbuilds are great and educational

WezV said:

Bonny lad, you did your own thing & just because your creation looks slightly like 'another guitar shaped thing' then people tend to look to find conversational reference points & will go on to make comparisons.
    Nothing at all wrong or unusual there but you really don't have to bother to explain your thought processes or ideas ... unless you wanted to  ;)
    There is a very long thread in Making and Modding that says I am happy to discuss my thought processes  for these builds ;)

DB1 said:
    If you wanted to A/B with a Little Sister Private Build (non cutaway, P90's) I'm often on the A38 going from Stafford to see my dad in Derby. Again, just saying. :)
    That might be fun!

duotone said:
    Turned out great. Brilliant job...what’s next on the list?
    Some old builds to finish off, including a chambered LP custom style, fanned fret caparison inspired build and a little mustang with unusual wood choices.

Just started a DC special/junior build with a few differences.

Then next spring I think it will be time to start another hollowbody.   Maybe a GB10 inspired build.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Dominic said:
    The big difference is they are a chambered thinline.  Normal chambered electric construction with some vintage acoustic/archtop aesthetics

Wide sky make some similar models and they recently did a single pickup one that on the surface looks very similar to this idea, but again its a chambered electric rather than fully hollow

Nothing wrong with that, except I have been trying to classify my build in my head and struggling.   Those styles above are great examples of chambered electrics.  Not sure mine fits in the same category, but I certainly get the visual comparison. 

I'd like to try a Wide Sky - They look interesting - Believe Gary Clarke Jnr is playing them these days - I can see some vibe/character/concept of them in your model - Your Hollowbody certainly has 'try me' written all over it 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Stunning work!