Could someone recommend a good Compressor please?

2»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25001
    Hartman is great. Two knobs, MXR size and based on the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer.

Can be bought new for around £100.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1291
    I use a Rothwell Love Squeeze 'always on', set quite subtly. It really is a superb, transparent and very quiet (in terms of background noise) compressor. Rothwell are a Bolton based company with a background in high-end hi-fi components so they know what they're doing with low noise circuits - check out their website.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    nickb_boy said:
    Cali76TX 

A shameless plug right there, but seriously there is no better compressor in a pedal format. I'm only selling on mine as I've now got the all singing and dancing limited edition version with boost. The actual compressor circuit is the same though.  They may be expensive but you will never need to go on another hunt for a compressor again, so it will save you in the long run.
    frankus said:
    I'd love to try a Cali :)

Here's your chance!
    I've noticed it... it'd mean selling one of my chorus or something to get it :(
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    I've used a few compressors down the years:

Demeter Compulator
    EHX BlackFinger
    Boss CS3
    MXR Super Comp
    Pigtronix Philosophers Tone
    Rothwell Love Squeeze

It kinda depends what you want the compressor to do, but I like it to even the notes out and also drive the front of the amp if I need it. Of the ones I've used the Black Finger probably sounded the best, but it's huge, noisey and needed its own special power supply. The CS3 kinda strangles your low end, but I think it sounds very musical and defo has a thing that it does. I like the tone control on it too. The MXR Super Comp just wasn't very good. On guitar or bass. The Pigtronix sounds really great, has tons of compresion and sustain on tap and you can add grit, but it's a bit noisey. The Demeter is an excellent all-rounder, though you could hear it working at very high settings. Sounded lovely though, and I only sold it becuase I had to. The Rothwell Love Squeeze is a total winner. It's quiet and very tranparent. Not that expensive either. Also sounds great on bass.

I'm always meaning to pick up an ED-1. They pop up for nothing all the time.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    Barber Tone Press - it tingles with delight!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I have the compact version :D

I went through the same thing as OP, settled on the Barber. 

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    Dinasaural OTC-201. Fantastic :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 643

I think I want another compressor too but am confused as to which way to go. I want it to do 3 things:

1) Work well for compressing funk-style chords

2) Give me sweet, long sustain - think David Gilmour style clean leads

3) Be fairly transparent tonally.

I don't want to spend a fortune and am quite happy going used. I've already got a Block logo Dyna Comp and a Biyang Compress X (which I prefer to the MXR as it is less noisy) but I have to set the compression/ sustain level low to avoid them being too squishy which means the sustain isn't as good as I'd like. I'm thinking I should be looking at either an optical comp, like the Demeter Compulator (used) or perhaps something with a blend control. I like the size of the Xotic SP but not sure how controllable it is. Mooer Yellow Comp might be worth a look too.

What say you?

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    edited July 2014
    You are describing the Dinasaural OTC. Call them and check it out. It's a great compressor

Check it out here. It appears about 12mins in :-

Beexter;288079" said:
    I think I want another compressor too but am confused as to which way to go. I want it to do 3 things: 1) Work well for compressing funk-style chords2) Give me sweet, long sustain - think David Gilmour style clean leads3) Be fairly transparent tonally.I don't want to spend a fortune and am quite happy going used. I've already got a Block logo Dyna Comp and a Biyang Compress X (which I prefer to the MXR as it is less noisy) but I have to set the compression/ sustain level low to avoid them being too squishy which means the sustain isn't as good as I'd like. I'm thinking I should be looking at either an optical comp, like the Demeter Compulator (used) or perhaps something with a blend control. I like the size of the Xotic SP but not sure how controllable it is. Mooer Yellow Comp might be worth a look too.What say you?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    Mooer Yellow + Jazzmaster =  wonderful.

And the Mooer Yellow is superb way beyond what one might think it "should" be at that price point and in that small a space. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Another compressor question for y'all.

What else does what the Boss CS3 does ?

My only extensive experience with compressors is from my "past life" with a Boss CS2 and high end studio compressors, which are a whole different animal.  Using it as an effect, I love that you can hear the Boss winding the gain up as the signal tails off. You can let interesting chord voicings hang there for days with one, which I rather like.

Maybe there a loads that do that, but I don't know the current market.  What I have tried, or heard demos of, all seem rather "polite".  Having said that I do want "polite" too.  So I was kind of assuming that I would end up with two compressors.

I had the privilege of trying @monquixote 's  Xotic SP a while back, that is definitely a very nice sounding and surprisingly flexible compressor, and tiny too  :)

• Sounds like you want an exotic - completely different to the dyna comp.

My go to recommendation is the visual sound, but that's based on a dyna comp and Ross comp I think? Anyway, it's probably a bit too similar - the exotic will give you a completely different type and is known for being transparent enough to be always on. For funky squish, you could use the biyang :)
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1291
    edited July 2014

Maybe the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone will float your boat? (certainly does mine!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boHgwq5AIHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyBtVrMqVw
    Another compressor question for y'all.

What else does what the Boss CS3 does ?

My only extensive experience with compressors is from my "past life" with a Boss CS2 and high end studio compressors, which are a whole different animal.  Using it as an effect, I love that you can hear the Boss winding the gain up as the signal tails off. You can let interesting chord voicings hang there for days with one, which I rather like.

Maybe there a loads that do that, but I don't know the current market.  What I have tried, or heard demos of, all seem rather "polite".  Having said that I do want "polite" too.  So I was kind of assuming that I would end up with two compressors.

I had the privilege of trying @monquixote 's  Xotic SP a while back, that is definitely a very nice sounding and surprisingly flexible compressor, and tiny too  :)

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Very interesting, thanks for the videos @steamabacus.

Great demo by Pete Thorn (as always), but what's with the flat cap, how can I take him seriously wearing that !

Definitely worth checking out, cheers   :)

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3583
    The Suhr Koji Comp is worthy!
  • basslooserbasslooser Frets: 17

I used to have Dyna Comp and I loved it, although I feel it drops volume.

Also I would highly recommend BBE Sonic Stomp, which is not comp, but does great trick