Strat Wiring for Bridge and Middle Pickups in series

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
The bridge pickup on its own is probably the sound I use the least on a Strat.

How would i go about wiring a strat such that in position 1 (normally bridge only), I would get the bridge and middle in series please?

So
5: neck
4: neck + middle in parallal
3: middle
2: middle and bridge in parallel
1: middle and bridge in series

It seems to me there would now be
- three hum-cancelling positions
- bridge + middle is series is a humbucker, probably good for overdrive

Or will I need to use a push-pull pot / DPDT switch?

Expert opinions very much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    You need a superswitch - due to the way a normal 5-way works (it's really a 3-way with in-between positions) switching to series doesn't allow the parallel sound to work unless the series switch is always in 'normal' mode when you want that.

Even then there is the limitation that you can only have one tone control working in the neck+middle position - you need the fourth pole for the ground connection of the bridge pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15271
    edited October 2020
    There is another option. Standard five-way selector switch plus 4PDT on/on switch.

The latter engages the bridge and centre coils in series, regardless of how the lever selector is set. 

I keep meaning to put this circuit into an old SSS Ibanez Roadster II but never seem to get around to it.

jaymenon said:
    bridge + middle is series is a humbucker, probably good for overdrive
    It is certainly hum-cancelling but I would liken its tone to a P90 or, even, one of the large G&L MFD single coils.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    I just did the Dan Armstrong blend wiring using the standard switch and pots, I really like it, it gets the bridge and middle in series and neck and middle in series, the bridge in series is the most used I'd say, gets fat n filthy with fuzz 

It's a master volume and tone with blend, I'll probably change the blend to a linear pot
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)