Good Gibson Explorer runs?

What's Hot
Howdy. I've always been interested in buying a gibson explorer due to Dave Grohl using one as his tour guitar in the early foo fighters years. Are there any periods where they had a good run such as the 90s or early 2000s? 
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Some people might think so, but others would disagree..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe said:
    Some people might think so, but others would disagree..
    This in a nut shell. Go try some and buy the best one you play
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28750
    Yep. You'll get plenty of people saying [insert year] was The Best period for Gibsons. You'll then see that these people are usually selling one from [insert year]. 

There's good and bad from all years.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 122
    1958 was a good year for the explorer  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    I could be wrong, but my perception is that Gibson never mucked around with the construction and materials “recipe” for the Explorer in the way they did with some models, and as a result, QA issues aside, give or take the odd change to pickups there really isn’t much to choose between model years.

Mine’s a 2014 with the 120th anniversary inlay as the 12th fret marker and “Burstbucker Pro”[1] pickups, and it’s lovely! :-)

[1] Well, you wouldn’t want to caught playing a gig with amateur pickups would you?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Mine's an '07 iirc and honestly in the grand scheme of well detailed guitars, it's absolutely bog standard. There's a tool mark on the fretboard, the nitro is really thick and cracked on some corners, and the shape of the pickguard going down the lower fin doesn't *quite* match the shape of the fin.

That said, I gigged and recorded with it constantly for 10 years and have made so much music with it. In the end, you either like a guitar or don't and the only way to find out is to play it.

@Jaygee I've got a BB1 & 2 in mine, really like them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom