Has anyone stripped a bullet mustang

What's Hot
I've had an idea in my mind to get a squier bullet mustang and make up a number of interchangeable scratchplates for different pickup combos. But also, I'd like something unpainted. So, I'm wondering if it is worth getting a bullet mustang and stripping it. I expect it to be made of many pieces of dull old basswood but that's fine as long they aren't likely to look horribly mismatched. 

Has anyone stripped one of these poor oft-modded buggers back to bare wood, and if so, do you have any pics or comments?
Thanks! 
Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17909
    tFB Trader
    60 cycle hum did it in a video on YouTube
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1885
    Cheers, I'll check that out. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    edited October 2020
    Yup

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/173196/wezv-q120-challenge/p1

wait - not stripped the full finish, no... just the top coat
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14787
    At the Bullet price point, in terms of time, effort and materials, the cost of stripping and refinishing is likely to exceed the value of the guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17909
    tFB Trader
    At the Bullet price point, in terms of time, effort and materials, the cost of stripping and refinishing is likely to exceed the value of the guitar.

On the flipside if you've always fancied a go at a refin you don't have to worry about buggering it up at that price.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    edited October 2020
    There's a seller on ebay called twin--cam (no affiliation) who has been selling a mustang type body and neck combo. He's had a few but may be out of stock at the moment - only seems to have the bodies currently. The bodies are routed for single coils.

They look interesting. If he re-stocks and If I ever get my current projects actually finished I'll probably get one.

Might be an alternative to stripping a Squier?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    60 cycle hum did it in a video on YouTube
    I've watched the video now. It's hard to get a good view after he's burnt the arse out of it. I wonder if they put a special primer down for the blue sparkle. However, it does look like it could work given a bit more tlc and a decent stain. 

WezV said:
    Yup

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/173196/wezv-q120-challenge/p1

wait - not stripped the full finish, no... just the top coat
    i enjoyed your thread very much at the time. And I makes me regret not getting a lpb one when they were out. Another boat missed... 

I've been refinishing at cheap telething for about 2 years now. No sign I'll finish it any time soon. But, it keeps me off the streets. I think a good mod. This project would be likely be a while away. 

As for value, there's no intention to worry about £s, the value will be in the getting something that does what I want and not spending much, and my time is cheap. Just a little project to keep me entertained.

On the flipside if you've always fancied a go at a refin you don't have to worry about buggering it up at that price.
    Absolutely. 
    mikem8634 said:
    There's a seller on ebay called twin--cam (no affiliation) who has been selling a mustang type body and neck combo. He's had a few but may be out of stock at the moment - only seems to have the bodies currently. The bodies are routed for single coils.

They look interesting. If he re-stocks and If I ever get my current projects actually finished I'll probably get one.

Might be an alternative to stripping a Squier?
    Thanks, I will keep an eye on that seller. Might well be a good option as it leave bridge options more open. Thanks 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1810
    Yeah I have Twin_cam saved as a seller from a good while back and had no issue the bodies he has are pretty cheap even for imports.