Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this the most cynical move you've ever seen on the part of a guitar manufacturer ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    Regardless of timing, at the prices quoted it would surely be a foolhardy move to buy one of these instead of an official EVH branded model of the same shape?

A lazy, but unsurprising these days, move for a once hugely innovative, omnipresent player in the MI world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    StefB said:
    Regardless of timing, at the prices quoted it would surely be a foolhardy move to buy one of these instead of an official EVH branded model of the same shape?

A lazy, but unsurprising these days, move for a once hugely innovative, omnipresent player in the MI world.

There will always be Peaveys around.  Those old Bandits go on and on whatever you do to them - like Keef.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    crunchman said:
    There will always be Peaveys around.  Those old Bandits go on and on whatever you do to them - like Keef.
    Of course - what have they done lately though, guitar-wise?

Peavey had a formidable guitar and amp catalogue for many years, whether you liked their designs or not, but what have they got now apart from this HP2, a small range of budget guitars and the vastly overpriced (compared to the direct competition) Classic amp range?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25563
    StefB said:
    crunchman said:
    Of course - what have they done lately though, guitar-wise?

Peavey had a formidable guitar and amp catalogue for many years, whether you liked their designs or not, but what have they got now apart from this HP2, a small range of budget guitars and the vastly overpriced (compared to the direct competition) Classic amp range?
    A mate had one of the Vendenberg models (25 years ago?) and that was amazing.

And I had a go on the Steve Cropper model and very much liked it too. But I don't think I've seen anything since other than the Wolfgang

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• sidthekidlivessidthekidlives Frets: 15
    edited October 2020
    Rocker said:
    The OP is right in deeming this guitar release to be a cynical marketing exercise.  However the OP or anyone else, for that matter, does not have to buy the guitar.
    Absolutely agreed - and I really like the model in question and have owned some really good Peavey guitars in the past. I wouldn't vote for anyone being stopped from being able to vote with their wallet. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3691
    The most cynical was when there was an accident while cutting a body and then it was marketed as an improvement to the traditional guitar.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Somebody already mentioned dealers.

If dealers get customer requests for a particular model, they contact the distributors to place orders. These are relayed to the manufacturer.

If, on the other hand, nobody has requested the HP2, Peavey is simply cashing in.

There were preorders in August.
    edited October 2020
    StefB said:

The Peavey WG have a pretty big following, not least because they went out of production when EVH moved to Fender, whereas the EBMM did not when he moved to Peavey.

It's also somewhat the received wisdom in the EVH Related instrument community that the EBMM's and Peaveys were better made, less commercial instruments whereas Fender are the guitar equivalent of 'Big Pharma' that soulessly pump out guitars.

Many think the brand has been watered down With the release of all the far eastern made standards and specials.

I'm not saying I agree.

I do prefer the classic iteration of maple fretboard and flame/quilt top more though, which isnt An option on the right handed EVH guitars anymore.

The bottle opener headstock is outright divisive.

In any case both the EBMM and Peavey Iterations were more visible during a period when their public profile was a lot larger (F.U.C.K and Balance).

The demand for them Is there. Perhaps more so than the EBMM Axis as it's never not been available.
    This may or may not work, but here's the GW Vid from 25th July on FB.

On YT It appears to have been taken down and re-posted after EVH death for whatever reason.

I would contend the current misconception of cynicism is the fault of GW Rather than Peavey.

And here's the post from a week after EVH's death saying the new guitars had arrived in stock

As I said, there's no way they brought a guitar to market, or even ordered and received the guitars within a week to capitalise.

Other dealers were taking preorders just after the announcement.

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 380
    edited October 2020
    Just for the record - I used to own a USA Peavey HP Special, it was a fantastic instrument, I showed it to Ged Green (Guitar maker in Manchester area)   Who was amazed at how well it was constructed. 

I still have an EBMM EVH which is also great.  I read somewhere that another reason for Ed to move from MM to Peavey was because MM didn't have the capability to make a carve top that Eddie was wanting.   

• icu81b4 said:
    Just for the record - I used to own a USA Peavey HP Special, it was a fantastic instrument, I showed it to Ged Green (Guitar maker in Manchester area)   Who was amazed at how well it was constructed. 

I still have an EBMM EVH which is also great.  I read somewhere that another reason for Ed to move from MM to Peavey was because MM didn't have the capability to make a carve top that Eddie was wanting.   

Same here ! I own an EBMM EVH and had a USA peavey HP special which was excellent ; different feel but no doubt a well constructed quality guitar. 
  • Nope. The most cynical move I've seen by a guitar manufacturer was that time when Gibson got fined for importing illegal woods and decided to go full Fox/birther/right-wing noise machine against the Obama administration. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nope. The most cynical move I've seen by a guitar manufacturer was that time when Gibson got fined for importing illegal woods and decided to go full Fox/birther/right-wing noise machine against the Obama administration. 
    I remember that! They did eventually get some of the confiscated wood back. What was the name of the series they made with it? I think it was called MUH FREEDOM or 'MURRICA or possibly THEY TOOK ER JERBS.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    So , blessed EVH is hardly cold in the ground and Peavey announce this below . He wanted his name taken off the guitars because allegedly he wasn't happy with the quality control.

I may be remembering this incorrectly - in which case apologies to the late Mr VH - but I think he said the same thing when moving from Music Man to Peavey.  Coupled with them not being able to manufacture in sufficient quantity, perhaps?

The one thing I've never heard EB/MM criticised for is quality control.  Call me cynical, but I always suspected Ed was getting a better financial deal from Peavey - and in turn, Fender/EVH.

Fender/EVH effectively made money from Peavey's design, Peavey in turn made money from elements of EB/MM's design.  Unless we believe that all the manufacturers did was make things to Ed's exact specification.

Obviously Peavey are taking the opportunity to make some money but to me it seems more like sound business sense than anything else.

**It could also be that both MusicMan and Peavey feel that their relationship with EVH ended prematurely and that the above mentioned reasons were "get out" clauses thrown up by EVH's legal team when in fact "brand EVH" were chasing the offer of better money. 
    So both Musicman and Peavey continued with the same or similar product without any EVH labelling to carry on making something from their investment.

**Not my own opinion .....just pondering what may have happened.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Its interesting that EVH had his own take on the Peavey situation in his last guitar magazine interview...

https://www.musicradar.com/news/there-are-no-rules-eddie-van-halen-the-last-guitar-mag-interview

Perhaps take the comments on both sides with a pinch of salt... but Peavey have run out of friends in recent years, and aside from HP himself being "a challenge" to work with, there must be something more to it.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.