1975 LP Deluxe refret recommendations

What's Hot
Looking to get a little more real estate, any size recommendations?
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Feline, all day long 
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Yup, frets the size of a cat will be large enough.
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol, serves me right for reading a post on my phone without glasses ;)
    Dunlop 6130 always works for me
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    tFB Trader
    6130 is on the low side I think, 6150 is very popular and gives a bit more height to get skin under.
    6130 is on the low side I think, 6150 is very popular and gives a bit more height to get skin under.
    Suppose it’s a case of how heavy your fretting hand is, too high a fret and you have to radically re-evaluate your fretting technique as it’s easy to squeeze sharp. I’d just try as many different guitars as possible and see what feels comfy under your fingers
  • I'm heavy handed and I like a bit of wiggle room for vibrato on the high e.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    JESCAR 47104. After playing Mike Walkers 335 with this wire, I had my first refret with it a few years ago. I'll never have anything else for a refret on a Gibson now.
  • Ossyrocks said:
    JESCAR 47104. After playing Mike Walkers 335 with this wire, I had my first refret with it a few years ago. I'll never have anything else for a refret on a Gibson now.
    Tell me more @Ossyrocks ;

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    Jescar 47104 is equivalent to Dunlop 6150/Stewmac #149 etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11768
    tFB Trader
    Closer to Dunlop 6155, although 6150 is only a little less tall
    Part of the conversation is surely about going fingerboard edge to edge with the fretting and being careful not to bevel the ends too deeply.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Jescar 47104 is equivalent to Dunlop 6150/Stewmac #149 etc. 
    Part of the conversation is surely about going fingerboard edge to edge with the fretting and being careful not to bevel the ends too deeply.
    Yes it is. Fancy the job?
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    Another vote for Jonathan at Feline.  His fret work is really great and he will listen to what you want and get it perfect for you.  He even did a neck for me that uses 2 different sizes of fret wire, one from the nut to the 12th fret and a narrower fret below.  Another thing that's worth looking at is an Earvana nut.
  • Yes, I will need a new nut.  Calling @FelineGuitars ;

• Slightly related, Is there any way of knowing what size frets have ben used for a refret? My 93 R7 has ben refretted and Id love to know whats on it
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    Ossyrocks said:
    Tell me more @Ossyrocks ;

As others have said, there are equivalent sizes available from other manufacturers, although they’re not exactly the same size or profile, they are close.

It must have been five or six years ago when I picked up Mike’s 335 off the sofa whilst visiting his house and it just felt so right. I asked Mike what the frets were, but in typical fashion, he couldn’t tell me, but he did tell me who fitted them, and it was another old friend and guitar wizard Ged Green. I rang Ged and asked him about them and he told me that it was Jescar 47104, but in stainless steel. Ged has previously refretted Mike’s 335 a number of times and the last time he recommended stainless just to cut down the amount and frequency of work which the guitar was being subjected too. Mike has only one electric and he probably plays it six hours a day, every day, since the 70’s. 

I think the first one I had Ged do was a ‘61 Sg Special and the second was a TM replica Les Paul. Neil Ivison has handled the TM subsequently and did comment to me about the fret work being great.

47104 seems to be the perfect height and width to feel big enough without being too big, and stainless, if you go that route, feels really really slinky, there’s no drag on the fret, no friction, so smooth.

Another reason for Jescar is that I feel Dunlop wire is not up the the same standard it used to be, it’s softer and wears quicker than it did 15 years ago, maybe they changed the formula, don’t know. But Jescar is very consistent and just seems better quality overall.

Rob
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11768
    tFB Trader
    Yes it is. Fancy the job?
    Absolutely . Nothing like rejuvenating a Les Paul to keep us busy =)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!