N(and refretted)GD : Paul Gilbert wannabe

SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 735
edited October 2020 in Guitar
I’ve wanted one of these since I saw Paul Gilbert with one at some point. Ive previously had an ash bodied RG which I loved, but really wanted fixed bridge. 

This popped up on eBay and I got lucky. It needed a refret so it went to Feline for a refret (and setup, obviously). 

This thing is fantastic. The refret (stainless jumbo) is superb, and I think is the best playing guitar I own. Fairly thin neck (I prefer something chunky), but it’s quarter sawn and pretty stable. 

This reminds me of playing expensive Suhr guitars, except this has character. 

I expected to hate the ToneZone pickups, but they suit this really well - it gives some nice vintage-y tones, and the in between sounds are a bit Tele-like. The single in the middle is usable too, which is a nice suprise. 

I’m plugging into my PC at the min for anything serious (?), but have this beast of a Peavey Rage for practice where I don’t want to use headphones. 

This not having a Floyd also helped my decision to use uncoated strings, which means it sounds nicer too (to my ears). 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Nice - which model is it? I have a 90's PGM500 in candy apple red, its a great guitar.
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks - this is a PGM800. I love how simple the things is. I have in recent years started using the tone knob on a guitar, so not sure how annoyed I'm going to be not having one here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom