Fretboard inlays question ....

Some years ago I did some really cool fretboard inlays - Chinese numbers. Personally I thought that they looked really cool and I have to say that I impressed myself with how well they came out.

I would quite like to do some again for my next guitar build, which is in early planning stages, but to be honest it was a major ball-ache making the inlays, then making the holes for them etc. (lots of tiny fiddly bits). 

I was wondering if there was any way I could bypass making inlays, but just cutting the holes for them in the fretboard and then filling them up with something that would harden up. Ideally I would want them to look like clay (that warm, off white look). I have made clay dots in the past but you need to stick them in the oven to go hard and I don't think a guitar neck would fit! (plus it would warp!).

Good idea? Bad idea? Know of a product that would work?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    You could do it with resin.  Obviously your cavities need to be perfect and you need to seal any pores first to prevent bleed 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited October 2020
     The advantage of using inlays is, the inlays are sharply cut ,  the hole you place them in can be filled , to hide   imperfections in  the  hole cutting. It is possible to cut sharp  accurate holes , but just filling the holes with filler  will show any bad cutting. 
     I have made inlays by smashing shells , using a metal mortise and pestle, to dust . Fill your cut out with  dust and drip on super glue .  It works better if you a use  loose shapes , that don't have sharp edges .