Applying Waterslide Decals

What's Hot
I have some custom waterslide decals gold letters to go on a black faced headstock. Should I gloss clear coat before applying? Roughly how many coats of clear coat will it take to get past seeing the edges of the waterslide? If at all!

Any other tips and tricks welcomed:-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    If the black is shiny that will be fine to apply the waterslide into. I always put down a smear of PVA to help adhere the transfer.

How many coats depends on how thick your waterslide transfer is. Once the transfer has dried you need to apply the first few coats of lacquer lightly as getting it wet can cause it to wrinkle.

I tend to spray a coat every 15-30 minutes throughout the day building up a good thick film. When you think you have enough on leave it a day or two to harden then block sand 800-> 1200 grit and polish. If you look like you might be sanding through, apply more lacquer and repeat.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 861
    edited October 2020
    Cheers Steve for the info. The black isn't high gloss, it's leaning more towards a satin I'd say.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1373
    You really want it quite glossy i think, otherwise the decal may appear cloudy, as it doesn't fully adhere to the flat surface.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OK thanks, I think I'll do a few more coats of black and flat it back then gloss clear coat before applying. No rush and I'd sooner have it right. 
    I flattened to 600 grit but when i applied the decal it was cloudy. Polished the tip of the headstock to 1500 and it was better. Luckily they sent 2 decals!!
    edited October 2020
    Thanks for the warning. We're the decals from Argentina by any chance? 
    No, they were from the UK!

Turned out well in the end

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks great... well balanced! Excellent:-)
    edited November 2020
    If the black is shiny that will be fine to apply the waterslide into. I always put down a smear of PVA to help adhere the transfer.

How many coats depends on how thick your waterslide transfer is. Once the transfer has dried you need to apply the first few coats of lacquer lightly as getting it wet can cause it to wrinkle.

I tend to spray a coat every 15-30 minutes throughout the day building up a good thick film. When you think you have enough on leave it a day or two to harden then block sand 800-> 1200 grit and polish. If you look like you might be sanding through, apply more lacquer and repeat.
    The waterslides have arrived. I've flatted back and have just applied another couple of coats of black. How long is minimum to wait before applying the decals 24 hours, week, more or less?

I have this mental picture of the black misting if done to soon!?

Steve when you say you put down a smear of PVA is that literally straight from the container? I ask as I've seen someone else mention putting some in the the warm water used to release the decal.

I don't feel overly optimistic about this stage
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    The waterslides have arrived and look good. I've flatted back and have just applied another couple of coats of black. How long is minimum to wait before applying the decals 24 hours, week, more or less?

I have this mental picture of the black misting if done to soon!?
    As soon as the laquer is dry, an hour should be okay. It won't absorb moisture from the transfer.
    Steve when you say you put down a smear of PVA is that literally straight from the container? I ask as I've seen someone else mention putting some in the the warm water used to release the decal.
    I mix about 50/50 PVA and water then apply to where the transfer is going.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    Great stuff. Thanks Steve, your advice was spot on.