noobie electronics question (mono jack soldering)

SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
edited October 2020 in Making & Modding
Hey folks, can anyone help me identify the tip and sleeve on this mono jack? I’m thinking the tip is the small pole on the left, and the sleeve is the taller middle pole. Just want to be sure. Also, what is the purpose of the spare hole?
https://i.postimg.cc/mD52z35D/1600-F1-B3-1406-43-E3-9907-BD52-ECD609-D0.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    There are two possibilities, although I think it's actually the second one anyway -

1 - it's a TRS (stereo) jack.

2 - it's a TS with two contacts for the tip.

You can find out very easily, even if you don't have a meter - simply connect it to your amp with a normal cable. Touch the two short terminals - if both buzz, it's a mono TS jack. If only one does, it's a TRS - that's the tip connection and the other one is the ring.

If it's a TS, connect the hot to *both* short terminals and the ground to the long piece that's designed to grip the cable.

If it's a TRS, connect the hot to the tip terminal and both the ring and the cable grip to ground.

This will maximise reliability in both cases.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited October 2020
    @ICBM ;Aha, it TS mono so the two poles are identical (‘tips’). Is it necessary to connect to both of those poles though as you say? I’m wiring a transformer to it, and it’s not possible for me to split the wire to both poles. Does the extra connection just act as a failsafe incase the other goes wrong?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    @ICBM ;Aha, it TS mono so the two poles are identical (‘tips’). Is it necessary to connect to both of those poles though as you say? I’m wiring a transformer to it, and it’s not possible for me to split the wire to both poles. Does the extra connection just act as a failsafe incase the other goes wrong?
    It's not 'necessary', but it's far better. Is this for an output transformer? If so I would definitely recommend it - yes, it's a failsafe in case one makes a bad contact, which is very common with this type of socket.

There are two easy ways - either solder a short piece of solid wire through both terminals first, then connect the transformer wire, or just strip a little more of it and pass the end of the wire through both holes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Got it! I have it all soldered together now. It’s for a piezo driver, which is one part of a spring reverb I’m working on. Thanks for your help.