Squier Jaguars and Mustangs? Worth it or better holding out?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
edited October 2020 in Guitar
Looking around here lately at these two. The Jaguar in the lead for me currently. I have read of the differences between the VM and CV models, pros and cons etc. The old Chinese CVs seem to get better reviews than the newer Indonesian CVs and VMs.
Better to hold out for something on the higher end used? Or a partscaster? ("partsuar" or "partstang") ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    edited October 2020
    I have had a VM and a CV jaguar since the spring and sold them both, mainly because I liked them so much.

The CV was a real; step up from the VM for me, bone nut, alnico pickups and mustang bridge, bound neck, block inlays.  Both were great to play.  I did have to have the nut re-cut though

I sold the VM as the mods would have cost the same as the difference between buying a brand new CV.  I sold the CV as I came into some cash and wanted a nitro fender jaguar.

No experience of the mustangs.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    The CV Jaguar pickups are especially nice. Sounds like a Jaguar and stays in tune if set up properly with at least 10 gauge strings.

No experience of the VM. I'm sure they're well made but the CV gets you the Jag sound for sure.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    I like my Squier VM Mustang but that has been fiddled with (and changed to better pickups) by the indomitable @Funkfingers . I also tried his Jaguar at the same time which I assume had also been fiddled with, and whilst it was lovely the Mustang was more for me at that time. Very nice guitars but then I've not played a fender one so who knows
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    The current Squire CV Jags are fabulous, probably the nicest finished guitars Squire have produced. Whether the whole Jag sound and bizarre switching floats your goat is a whole other question.

The CV jag can be a little clunky and slightly rattley at times but that’s said of Jags at every price point and I don’t tend to notice if I’m enjoying my playing. It’s surprisingly stable too, all in all, a real winner. 

Mine is with @TheMarlin right now. If you can persuade him to put down a Gretsch for long enough to take it out the bag and try it, perhaps he’ll give you an unbiased opinion? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    I think there was a hint in there somewhere....
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    TheMarlin said:
    I think there was a hint in there somewhere....
    That would require subtlety and you know I don’t have any of that. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    been fiddled with
    “I’m yer Uncle Ernie and I welcome you to Tommy’s ‘Oliday Camp.”
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Personally speaking I would always go jaguar over mustang.

From there it all depends on your preference for radius 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

7.5 maybe ... Squier never did 7.5 from what I recall. As in recently ...
  • @dazzajl the more buttons the better :) Had a few JMs over the years but never quite settled with them. Either couldn’t tame the top end treble or just didn’t float the boat. I am thinking a jaguar might offer something different , the mustang definitely would ...

And budget? That will probably be the biggest indicator of what is possible 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    I liked the Jag but it just felt like a bigger instrument - the Mustang felt small and almost toylike in size, in a good way. Though I can imagine if you were a bigger bloke the Mustang would like a bit silly perhaps. I'm not very big so it's fine for me. On the flip side, something like a 335 looks enormous on me
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life

And budget? That will probably be the biggest indicator of what is possible 
    Ooof that’s a good question. Sub a grand anyway that’s for sure. Maybe keep an eye on used market.
  • I liked the Jag but it just felt like a bigger instrument - the Mustang felt small and almost toylike in size, in a good way. Though I can imagine if you were a bigger bloke the Mustang would like a bit silly perhaps. I'm not very big so it's fine for me. On the flip side, something like a 335 looks enormous on me
    I’m 6ft 1. JM felt a bit “big” to me as well. I wouldn’t be too worried about a small guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    7.25 radius under a grand would take you to a used Fender Japan or new/used Mexico. Personally I would go with the Mexican models. You have some nice custom colours too. The Jaguar is available in ocean turquoise, and the mustang in seafoam green and lake placid blue.

I've had lots of variations of Mustangs and Jaguars. And a surprise to me, but I've always found the Mustangs to stick around longer. 
  • Tall frets on new CV mustang seem to get a bad rap
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    Ive got one of the old VM Jags and absolutely love it. I think I have 10s with a wound third on it and it stays in perfect tune. What I did find though is  the trem is set to only go down and this is why it stays in tune, when the trem was more floaty it would not stay in tune at all. I had a MIJ a few yrs back that looked amazing but was an absolute dog so got shifted after 2 weeks. I guess i just got a crap one maybe?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Hard to call. I'm gassing for a Jaguar now after this video.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom