Who said ‘relic’?

What's Hot
JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 358
I have never been a fan of relics, but this video (and its very interesting sequel) looks at an old Les Paul Special that has really seen life!  It’s the real deal as far as genuine relics go, and i’m Very envious of its new owner.  
Whoever owned this guitar before had played its little heart out, and his too.
Take a look at this YouTube and the sequel that will show up alongside, totally awesome (I know there are one or two LP fans out there . . .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpCwScYlaE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    Thing is, it’s not a relic (in guitar terms). It’s used vintage guitar. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    It's also not very common them ending up like that most are in pretty good shape from what I've seen so far
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Thing is, it’s not a relic (in guitar terms). It’s used vintage guitar. 
    Exactly!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Matthew Scott: By his own admission he's not a Gibson expert......and seemingly from below he's not a Fender one either. Not sure why half a million people watch his crap then....

https://youtu.be/n1WetXIP_B4
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Matthew Scott: By his own admission he's not a Gibson expert......and seemingly from below he's not a Fender one either. Not sure why half a million people watch his crap then....

I can't watch him either, he's one of the biggest corksniffers going and i don't like that sort, not all vintage is best imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:

I’m guessing you didn’t watch it? 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    Strat54 said:

yes I watch a few of his videos and he is defiantly no expert. He can play quite well (better than me anyway). he got the "Goodwill" guitar shortly after it was featured  on the Troglys guitar show and the click bait title makes you thing he got a bargain but in reality he paid over the odds for it. He built up a lot of followers after he claimed he bought a 1958 Mary Kaye strat. His claims on that guitar seem to be based on a few flakes of white paint found under the remnants of several refins

tFB Trader
    @phil_b there was more to it than that.. he did find a date in the pickup cavity and it was an ash body. The guitar also came with gold hardware which was heavily tarnished. So, it’s entirely possible it was a Blonde strat.

• JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 358
    Hmm.  Surprised at the negativity of some of these reactions.
    Haters gonna hate . . .
    @phil_b there was more to it than that.. he did find a date in the pickup cavity and it was an ash body. The guitar also came with gold hardware which was heavily tarnished. So, it’s entirely possible it was a Blonde strat.

He still was jumping to some very big conclusions
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    You wonder how he's affording all these vintage guitars too. He's not got sponsorship on his videos and he's not got a huge fanbase. He worked as a waiter and said recently he gave that up as he was earning the same from YouTube.
    You wonder how he's affording all these vintage guitars too. He's not got sponsorship on his videos and he's not got a huge fanbase. He worked as a waiter and said recently he gave that up as he was earning the same from YouTube.

from what I saw I think he may be trying to make a business  from buying and selling these guitars as well as using them for video content. And I guess he can also make some money from playing (covid allowing)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    phil_b said:

from what I saw I think he may be trying to make a business  from buying and selling these guitars as well as using them for video content. And I guess he can also make some money from playing (covid allowing)
    Unless he's getting them very cheap there's not gonna be a lot of money in it. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16314
    "I am planing a big reveal video soon....."

I can hardly wait
    tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    Good news! Gibson still make the Les Paul Special, so you can buy a new one. It will be in much better condition and cost a lot less than this one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Trogly , another YouTuber featured this guitar some time ago. I think that it was listed On eBay, Or Reverb by a charity, he’s a dealer and decided that the bidding had reached stupid levels. The guitar is in an awful state but such is the mania for vintage guitars people just can’t help themselves and pay crazy prices for basket cases. The guitar will need extensive repair work in order to become a viable proposition and then it really won’t be in the original factory condition. Some years ago people were questioning the validity of some restored vintage cars, there comes a point when so much of the original item has been replaced that it isn’t really a vintage car.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Best part about that is a few weeks earlier Trogly did a video on it saying how overpriced it was and a basket case, then another 'expert' bought it 
  • and he paid $5700 plus shipping. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    phil_b said:

Wait ... he's not a bedroom flipper is he ? :p

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    Trogly , another YouTuber featured this guitar some time ago. I think that it was listed On eBay, Or Reverb by a charity, he’s a dealer and decided that the bidding had reached stupid levels. The guitar is in an awful state but such is the mania for vintage guitars people just can’t help themselves and pay crazy prices for basket cases. The guitar will need extensive repair work in order to become a viable proposition and then it really won’t be in the original factory condition. Some years ago people were questioning the validity of some restored vintage cars, there comes a point when so much of the original item has been replaced that it isn’t really a vintage car.
    I probably watched that Trogly video and definitely watched this Matthew Scott one, but it didn't click that it was the same guitar.  Fair play to him if he's happy with it, but it's not something I'd want to own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom