Cracked squier trem block. Possibly to repair?

What's Hot

Just bought an 90s Korean made Squier, was 
struggling to remove the strings so removed the backplate and discovered this

https://ibb.co/QjTQvYF

The whole block is covered in what looks to be stressed cracks. 

I thought it would be an easy fix as I've got some spare squier trem units  but either they don't  fit or align with the screw holes on the body ( I've tried swapping the blocks). 

Is there anyway to stabalise the current block, very unlikely but thought I would ask. 

Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    No - you'll have to replace it, or the whole bridge. I'm actually amazed it hasn't spontaneously disintegrated already...

This is a common problem with alloy blocks of this sort of age and a bit older, in particular (but not only) the Hohner/Marlin Sidewinder ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    Is this a job for Kev Hurley?

In case you don't know about him @musicalstash he is a maker of pretty legendary replacement trem blocks that tend to represent a massive upgrade. I've got one which I was lucky enough to get as part of a secodhand trem that I bought from another fretboarder. It really is great.

The only problem is you have to contact him via email and I don't know what it is.

Anyone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14787
    edited October 2020
    I have more than one of those Squier/Sung-il vibratos languishing in a parts drawer. You are welcome to a replacement block if you cover the cost of shipping.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I have more than one of those Squier/Sung-il vibratos languishing in a parts drawer. You are welcome to a replacement block if you cover the cost of shipping.
    Hi thanks for the offer its much appreciated .  Ive tried a couple of blocks from what I think are modern squiers  but the trem bridge hole does not align with the one on the block..  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14787
    Does your original vibrato pivot on:
    1) six screws through its baseplate
    2) two threaded pivots in line with the E string saddles
    3) two threaded pivots, further apart than the E string saddles.

A top view photograph of your vibrato would help. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Does your original vibrato pivot on:
    1) six screws through its baseplate
    2) two threaded pivots in line with the E string saddles
    3) two threaded pivots, further apart than the E string saddles.

A top view photograph of your vibrato would help. 
    It's a six screw base.   The Squier is an 90s M serial with the laminated body.