gear choice.... opinions, advice ??

OK - Im 53.....  Ive played guitar most of my life, but for the last 2 years + mostly played keyboards. Im in 2 bands as a keys player at present.

Ive promised I wont buy any more synths lol - and thank christ I only have room for modules/desktops.... its bad enough resisting a couple of those, but if I had room for another keyboard or 2 I couldnt resist a couple....

ANYWAY - Ive used an AFX since 2008, first an old standard, then a Mk2 version 1.  I still use that.  Ive had an amp on occasion as well but they never really got used as Im mostly a bedroom guitarist.  I havent moved to the 3 for a few reasons (cost among them) but I have some money assigned to the guitar rig.   I have 3 options in my head but really unsure as to which works best for me.   

1.  Stick to my love of the Fractal units and go for the AFX3, along with the new FC12 to replace my MC101.
2.  Keep my AFX2 and add a Kemper - just for its own thing - would complement what I have in the modelling world.
3.  Keep my AFX2 and add a Real amp and a few choice pedals (only need reverb, delay, phaser and a boost/OD) - the one in question thats really got me tempted is the Suhr PT15 ir.....

Head says route 1 - I know what Im getting and do love it.   Heart says 3 - always nice to have a real valve amp, and because of its IR can use it at home no problem.  Curiosity says 2.....

1 and 2 will run out about the same price (as Id sell the AFX2/MC101 if I go route 1) while route 3 would be more cash - even if I can find a used on given the need for 4/5 pedals as well.

Help an old man out here with some thoughts.   it will almost certainty be my last amp related purchase, as Im much more keys these days and cant see that changing really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116
    edited October 2020
    If you already have a modeller I'd be tempted to add an amp/pedalboard option. The specs on the PT15 look great and it sounds excellent in the demos I've seen.

I'm actually going in the other direction. I already have an amp and pedals that I'm really happy with, so I've put a deposit down on the new Quad Cortex from Neural DSP.
  • What is it you want to get out of a new unit, or is it simply that it's new? No issue either way, but it sounds like the AFX2 works well for you already, so why change?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    4) None of the above. Gigs are going to be in short supply until the spring, and when they return you’ll find it easier to get gigs on keys than guitar. So I suspect this is really about having something to learn about and tinker with. You’d enjoy playing with an AFX3 or a Kemper, but you’d get more bangs for your buck with a secondhand Helix. You will also lose less money when you sell it on.

In second thoughts 1) then sell it all to me next year at knock down prices.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I would suggest a valve amp of your choice and a Reactive load box of some sort. I’ve recently been on a similar journey to you coming from modellers (Kemper, Fractal, Boss, Helix etc). I was never completely satisfied with the feel and sound of any of them. 

Anyway I recently went a different route and bought a Revv G20. This has a Two Notes torpedo reactive load built in. I loved the amp in many ways other than the gain channel didn’t clean up too well.

I moved the Revv on and purchased a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini amp head and the separate Two Notes Captor X Reactive load box. This amp was almost what I was after in that it cleaned up exceptionally well. I just didn’t like the character of the gain in the amp. So I moved this setup on.

So Ive now landed on a Friedman PT-20 head and a Suhr reactive load IR. I bought these both 2nd hand, total price was less than half the price of the Suhr PT-15 amp head.

It sounds and feels exceptional. The amp has a more modern character to the gain, a lot tighter in the low end. The Suhr reactive load feels great to play through and is a more plug and play approach compared to the two notes Captor X reactive load.

So in summary if you want the best home playing experience I would go for a valve amp of your choice and a reactive load box.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    There's a pleasure in buying gear, and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally I've never been at a gig I couldn't do with a Hot Rod and a few pedals, which is why I've never gone down the modelling route. Plus you get the Axe or Kemper, then you got to get a speaker if your not pure IEM then you might as well have got a combo and some pedals ;)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm not sure you'll get much improvement for playing at home, that said if you want a change go for it.

If you use the Axe through FRFR perhaps look at a pre amp and a cab, or a powered cab?

Valve amp and a load box or Ox etc?

The new Neural thingy so I can buy it later?

In short I suppose get what you want!

• Will only be for home use almost certainly - maybe the odd jam at some point.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited November 2020
    Will only be for home use almost certainly - maybe the odd jam at some point.

Hey Paul, what's odd about our jams then ey ?!!! ;)

Maybe sometime soon we will be able to restart them....
  • hywelg said:
    Will only be for home use almost certainly - maybe the odd jam at some point.

Hey Paul, what's odd about our jams then ey ?!!! ;)

Maybe sometime soon we will be able to restart them....

Made me laugh.

Not played much guitar for ages.  Im playing keys in two bands - including Rolands ;)
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    You’re in Nottingham aren’t you Paul?
  • @jackio yep - sorry, completely missed that question .... 2 months ago.
  • Save your cash! You’ll only be getting on the GAS Merry go round you so wisely have avoided all these years! 
    “You’ll end up right back where you started anyway!” DON’T DO IT!!!!!!!
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited February 2021
    GAS ?? Avoided ????  not a chance lol.

While Ive used Fractal units for the last 13 years so my amp GAS hasnt been in evidence.....  A Select Fender Strat, a Tom Anderson Cobra S, a Suhr Modern all in the last 9 years guitar wise.

Synth/keys wise....   RD2000 , FA07 , Fantom 7, Peak, Virus Ti2, Dep Mind .  organ module , TR8s Drum machine , Hardware Sequencer , ne monitors  and sub , new DAW plus harware controller .  New mixer - and a line mixer 3 different keyboard stands  and some items to build a new work desk and shelving for synth modules... Midi interface and more cabling than you can shake a stick at (tend to build my own, but loads of stereo TRS cabling, and laods of midi and Ethernet cabling) etc.....and I have my eye on sooo much more.  All that lot is since wanting to learn piano properly and getting the RD20000 - in January 2018... so 3 years worth.

Moving my focus back to guitars is to STOP my general music GAS.......
    edited February 2021
    @jackio yep - sorry, completely missed that question .... 2 months ago.
    Hey Paul, no probs. I was wondering if the loan of a valve amp would help you with your decision?

@paulmapp8306
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited February 2021
    probably not lol.

Ive had valve amps (and some nice ones) in the past - and had a couple of mid range ones along side the AFX in the past. Its more an internal conflict I have, physical space in my room, and  justification of price v functionality v actual usage it would get.

Thanks for the offer.... unless you have a PT15 ir lol.

Ha no, I don't have one of those. Yup, no worries, thought it might help with your point 3 :)