Vintage Fender Case?

What's Hot

Any ideas if this is a genuine Fender Hard case?  

There isn't a Fender logo or a C&G badge but the only  tweed cases I've been able to find with a latch inbetween the handle is a vintage Fender ones.

The owner told me it came with a Fender Strat but wasn't sure of its age or history. 

The  red plush is much darker than what is shown in the photos and it has 3 cheney hinges .

It's probably not but can hope.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I just checked my old Fender case which is pre 73. Likely 68.

I cant (at the moment) compare the hinges as its wedged under a wardrobe.

The front looks like Fender except for the centre clasp. Different shape entirely, but Fender could have changed it at some point. 

The rest looks very much the same. Double stitch through leather (is it leather?) with white piping. The shape of the metal components -all good. Handle shape is fine.

Biggest question. Why no Fender logo? Mine is chrome. If it was removed you'd see a witness mark.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1158
    edited October 2020
    I think those cases were around in the 80s/ 90s. It is a genuine Fender case.
    Nice detail with the centre latch in the middle of the handle, like the original 50s tweed Strat cases (50s tweed Strat cases were lacquered, unlike your one ).
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    No Fender logo on the mid 50's cases. It certainly looks similar to the ones of that era...'55-'58. Pull tag inside was typically tan though.
  •  I've seen a couple of 50s cases on the eddie Vegas site  , they have the same latch layout but also have the same small brass button next to the handle  . 

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 352
    edited October 2020
    I have an early 60s case and a noughties custom shop case to compare it to, although I only have the 60s case handy at the moment, so I can only compare the custom shop case from memory.
    Yours looks very much like a Fender Strat case.  My custom shop one has Fender and G&G logos.  Both of mine have a brown textured vinyl covering as opposed to your cotton.  Both of mine have the centre catch at the side of the handle, rather than in the middle of the handle.  Both of mine have orange/gold lining material.  Apart from that, all the hardware, piping, leather endcaps and internal layout look the same.
    Maybe yours is from a 50s reissue....just a guess.
  • I think those cases were around in the 80s/ 90s. It is a genuine Fender case.
    Nice detail with the centre latch in the middle of the handle, like the original 50s tweed Strat cases (50s tweed Strat cases were lacquered, unlike your one ).
    Thanks..  I've searched online but cannot find any reference to them making 50s Reissue cases in the 80s.  Do you know what models they were shipped with?   Thanks again 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The centre catch and handle attachments are wrong for a 50s one, and the tweed would be lacquered as andrewaward said.

https://reverb.com/item/5271408-vintage-1950s-fender-tweed-strat-tele-case

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Email G&G directly - they’re very responsive. I’m sure they’ll be able to clear it up pretty swiftly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Email G&G directly - they’re very responsive. I’m sure they’ll be able to clear it up pretty swiftly. 
    Thanks just dropped them  a message.  
  • I just had a look and can’t find what guitars they came in, but I’m sure they were used by Fender. You can report back what G&G say, hopefully they will have an answer.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    edited October 2020
    It looks like a reissue case.  I have 2 50's cases and I think they are a bit more rounded and narrower (as in not as tall).  I'll take a picture in a little while when I have time.  This looks more like a reissue tweed case, especially with the padding at the body end.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    edited October 2020
    Lol....love this thread. Can I buy your case @musicalstash
  • Just had it confirmation from two well known Fender dealers in the States ( plus a very helpful fretboarder) who confirmed it is a genuine mid  50s Fender Case .

The confusion was because the latches  have been changed and ( possibly the tag) but the rest is original. 

Just got to pass the news into the owner.