Advice on an overdrive pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Wait a while and this thread will soon be a list of each forum members favorite OD pedal
    It's funny because it's true. The Usual Suspects have already mentioned the usual suspects :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10087
    edited July 2014
    I'll add my penneth worth...

Barber Gain Changer, Fairfield Barbershop (really really really miss mine - anyone got one ??), OCD, Dr Scientist The Elements, Cornish CC-1, any PTD...

Bearfoot Model H 3 knob, any Kingsley, Wampler Euphoria, Timmy

These are my favourites into a clean amp

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    it wasnt my favourite but everybody else loved the sound of a rook with my TH30 although frankly ive had ALOT of overdrives with it and they all sounded phenomenal
    my favourite as ever is the valve sporker but an EP style boost brings the amp to life in a way that nothing else can and a tubescreamer really makes the drive channel perfect for metal or classic rock of any kind.
    Into the clean channel a dirty little secret sounds brilliant and can do just about any marshall type sound but of them all its the OCD and valve sporker that have stayed and getting rid of my rook royale is my biggest regret...
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    oh and the lovepedal amp eleven sounds so good that i am still on the lookout for one!
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 622
    Here's my favourite.... cost me $50 in the USA new. Boost too. Different to the usual I know.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    edited July 2014
    this is a great transparent pedal. I personally would buy this over everything else

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I knew what i was getting into when i posted this thread, looks like i have a LOT of homework to do! 

Thanks so far guys 
    :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    The Liquid Sunshine is my all time favorite (and I've had a LOT of pedals) so you can't go far wrong there. 

If you are buying new it's also worth mentioning that the Hardwire OD is currently £46 at Amazon which is about the price they were going for secondhand a while ago. 

My approach is to buy stuff SH on the classifieds and flip it if you don't like it. That way you get to try lots of stuff for the cost of postage.
  • The Liquid Sunshine is my all time favorite (and I've had a LOT of pedals) so you can't go far wrong there. 

Have you tried the T-Rex Mudhoney? I *will* get the twin channel version at some point. 

I wouldn't mind trying the Barber Half Gainer again, truth be told. 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    edited July 2014
    It seems to me that it is fairly standard procedure round these parts to buy second hand from the classifieds, try them out and then sell on the ones which don't quite work for you.

If you buy and sell at the right price, and the O/D, or whatever, is popular enough, then you should be able to check them out with your gear at home for as long as you want, probably just for the cost of postage.

You probably want a fund to cover maybe 3 or 4 pedals, so you can compare and the keep some and sell the rest, and just keep the GAS going from there on.

Hope that helps,  it's just my perspective on this   :)
    Yeah, if you can't try it with your amp in a shop that'd make more sense than trying it in a shop with a different amp.

Even new you can do that too and send it back if you don't like it (and likewise just be out postage). It's maybe a bit dickish to order 5 pedals with the intention of only keeping one, but I think it's fine to order one pedal (which you've done research on and genuinely hope to like and keep) and send it back under distance-selling regulations (or whatever those new ones are called) if it just doesn't work with your amp. That's what they're for, after all.
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Make sure you try it with your amp. As mike_l said, different ods work better with different amps.
    Not only that, but which channel are you going to use it with? The two on that amp are so different they might as well be different amps, and will almost certainly work better with different types of pedal. (Although I haven't tried one with any.)

The clean channel is bassy and slightly scooped, so it will probably work best with a bass-cut, mid-boost overdrive - the classic Tube Screamer/Boss SD-1 family. The dirty channel is the opposite, middy, slightly muddy and over-compressed (in my opinion!) so it will probably work better with a more 'distortion' type pedal, possibly one with more than one EQ knob so you can compensate for the channel's lack of the same.

If you have to pick one which will work with both, I think I would have to go for a two-EQ overdrive with some control over the bass, like a Bad Monkey (cheap) or a Mesa Flux Drive (expensive), or anything in between.
    I haven't tried the amp, that was just general advice. :)) Good points (as usual), though, that are definitely worth bearing in mind. :)
    this is a great transparent pedal. I personally would buy this over everything else

I dunno if I'd call the Nobels that transparent- to my ears it sort of falls between a tubescreamer and a transparent overdrive like a timmy or similar. Nice pedal, though, and fairly versatile. It possibly (just for me, others may well disagree) fits into my "That sounds awesome but what the heck would I use it for?" category of guitar gear, though. :))
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    The upcoming EQD Pallisades looks really versatile or theres the new 2 button tubescreamer
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    ThePrettyDamned;288248" said:
    JohnPerry said:
    by This is all so subjective. With the caviat that all Kingsley overdrives are scientifically proven to be better than all other overdrives

I keep my eyes open because I would love to try one, he has a fairly high gain one if I understand correctly.

Do they work direct to desk/as a recording preamp?  

They might seem expensive, but it sounds like it's an amp front end in a box.  Very, very cool.
    The jouster is a high-gainer. Jester in position 3 will get there too.

They're not DI boxes though.

For what they are I don't think they're expensive really. The workmanship (see inside any of his pedals.... incredible stuff) is sublime and the key to the tone is that they just don't sound like a pedal at all

• this is a great transparent pedal. I personally would buy this over everything else

Wow, that sounds really good - I'll have to check it out.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys i am slowly homing in on what i want, @Wazmeister mentioned the barber gain changer and after a quick look at it it looks pretty versatile with its 3 way EQ switch and 2 way gain switch, anybody got any experience of them? what are they like?
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    @notonlybutalso If you go to guitar guitar they stock both of thoes brands you could A/B them see what works best for you! Personally, i love the moonshine as i love a good tube screamer! :D 

the Walrus Audio is fantastic too! 
  • @notonlybutalso If you go to guitar guitar they stock both of thoes brands you could A/B them see what works best for you! Personally, i love the moonshine as i love a good tube screamer! :D 

the Walrus Audio is fantastic too! 
    funnily enough thats exactly my plan for friday  :)

It's around £50 on Thomann. there's a cheaper, 3-band eq version which has a different circuit (but I was told by someone on another forum who's into electronics that it should be able to be dialled in to sound fairly similar). I still went with the green one. :))
  • basslooserbasslooser Frets: 17
    I use JHS Morning Glory and it is best OD I ever had, but I like soft drives
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Dave_Mc said:
    It's around £50 on Thomann. there's a cheaper, 3-band eq version which has a different circuit (but I was told by someone on another forum who's into electronics that it should be able to be dialled in to sound fairly similar). I still went with the green one. :))
    Try this!
    Isn't it like about £2.50 dearer on Thomann, and new with a 3-year warranty? (That's a rhetorical question :)) )

Ok, I suppose to be fair your CC will rip you a few percent on the exchange rate, and if that's all you're buying Thomann will charge 10 euros postage... but still.