Ed Obrien's PedalBoard Build

What's Hot

Comments

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 149
    I imagine its this:
    hotrox sell similar (I think)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, that's a great video.

I really enjoyed the run through of that fella with rhcp too - very, very detailed and proper nice chap.

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Cracking video - what a board!

Seemed like a good idea.....

• damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    I love the fuzz , where might I come upon something similar ?

• damodaidamodai Frets: 38

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    I like Radiohead, but I guess what annoys me is that they are guilty of all the same stuff that maybe gets thrown at the likes of Roger Waters, but journalists lick their arses. Never quite got that. But brilliant system & Kudo s to Mr O Brien as the client for allowing us too see it all.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413

Great vid and nice guys and those G2s are very impressive. I think we have a couple of forumites who have them.

Dan is also a pleasure to deal and despite his busy schedule, he always has time for people.

Re: the pedal board tape holding things and enduring world tours etc..you'd hope so if Dan gives it the thumbs up and he must have lots of client experience to base that on. Pat Metheny gigs over 300 days a year and for a long time had a toothbrush holding in his guitar strap in on his favourite Gibson semi.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10105
    Great video, and I'm close to ordering a G2... It's the individual isolation which I love...

As an aside, I use 3M Dual lock stuff as my velcro. That stuff does NOT move, and I've just nicked a wooden spatchular from the wife. To help when i do need to unlock them !

Live this G2 video... From one of own forumites I do believe...

• iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1580
    edited July 2014
    Great video . But Why do you need a battery simulator rather than just DC current to make a fuzz work?
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Great video . But Why do you need a battery simulator rather than just DC current to make a fuzz work?

Fuzz will work with a regular power supply but it will sound better with a battery. The virtual battery emulates the current of a cheap shitty one therefore making fuzzes sound the way God intended them to.
  • I call unicorn horn .
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Battery "sag" honestly does make a difference to me. Can't say I notice it so much with Tonebenders, but Fuzz Faces definitely sound different to me, as do wahs. I think wahs running off a psu sound far worse than ones with just a battery. I'm a total non-corksniffer but ears are ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • When you gents are saying sag do you mean a battery at the end of life giving reduced voltage (rather than any voltage droop as load is applied?)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    It's to do with zinc carbide batteries, remember the Eric Johnson quote that he could hear the difference between Ever Ready & Duracell. Well I think he means Zinc Carbide & Alkaline. I tried an old Ever Ready blue in my SD-1 years ago and it sounded lovely
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Really ? Surely DC is DC, of course you can have a bad battery but current is current. I guess a PSU may have AC ripple but hearing differences between battery types? Maybe a difference if discharged to a lower voltage. I'm not being difficult (ok maybe a bit) I just don't understand how components would behave differently based on the technology used to supply DC current at a set voltage - unless in fault condition .
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Duracell Power Plus for me, matured to within 17 months of their use-by date. Before that they sound stiff to me.

It's important to buy them singly too. The multi-pack versions have too little bloom.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    I think because some old fuzzes only take batteries to power them
    iseverynamegone;301746" said:
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • [quote="hotpickups;302120"]I think because some old fuzzes only take batteries to power them

Is that simulator then ultimately just a connection box To allow a pp3 type connection to be made to the regulated DC? That's not how I saw it. It sounded like it was adding some special sauce to a DC signal
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I can't really hear the difference between zinc and alkaline - to be honest, I just buy the cheapest multi's from poundland.
    When I say sag, I mean a drop in voltage from a battery that's had a good bit of use.