Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rebellion Guitar Co vs World Guitars

What's Hot
Hi everyone, anyone familiar with Rebellion Guitar Co? I just came across them online and it looks like a bit of an unusual set-up.

On their Bio it looks like they are mainly a distributor but they also sell direct and stock a lot of the same brands as World Guitars. Mark Smith is also involved in both too.

Be interested to know if anyone knows a bit about it all or has any experience in dealing with Rebellion?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    If I had to guess I would wager that World Guitars is slowly winding down and Mark will be putting his energy into Rebellion going forward. WG gets hardly any new stock in and has dropped quite a few brands - seemingly focussing on solely stuff they have exclusively and/or that Rebellion distributes, with only a handful of exceptions such as Eggle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Both websites are equally annoying.
    Hope that helps.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    Whitecat said:
    If I had to guess I would wager that World Guitars is slowly winding down and Mark will be putting his energy into Rebellion going forward. WG gets hardly any new stock in and has dropped quite a few brands - seemingly focussing on solely stuff they have exclusively and/or that Rebellion distributes, with only a handful of exceptions such as Eggle. 
    It used to be one of my go-to sites.  There was always plenty of new stock and I often spent a few days agonising over whether or not I was prepared to spend an enormous amount of money on some amazing-looking guitar... they always sold before I made a decision.

Sad to see how it's declined the last few months.  Feels like there's only Peach left.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Whitecat said:
    It used to be one of my go-to sites.  There was always plenty of new stock and I often spent a few days agonising over whether or not I was prepared to spend an enormous amount of money on some amazing-looking guitar... they always sold before I made a decision.

Sad to see how it's declined the last few months.  Feels like there's only Peach left.
    How can you forget coda?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Music Street in Huntingdon are worth checking out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    Philly_Q said:
    Whitecat said:

How can you forget coda?
    Coda's a great shop, but I was thinking more about the websites in particular - I'm only window-shopping these days.
  • MarchMarch Frets: 300
    World Guitars will continue. One thing is for sure, any enterprise Mark is involved will never see any of my money again.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    Machinehead Music went the same way. Great shops with great stock and service then end up going downhill once Jeff isn't involved. Quite sad as World Guitars was some where I wanted to go once I could afford anything they sell 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grayngrayn Frets: 975
    For window shopping, I use Sound Affects.  Great shop.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 382
    Got a decent deal on a Vigier from WG a few months back. Super helpful but I was spending over 2K I guess. 
    The website is a pile of crap though. Also noticed there's virtually nothing in stock yesterday. 

Thanks for the headsup about Music Street @digitalkettle I'll be looking for a Victory Countess soon and their prices seem pretty tasty if I can't get a used one on this here FB.
    I avoid them. I had two extremely bad experiences with them and gave up. 

Hopefully they're better now as it was... 5 ish years ago? 
  • March said:
    World Guitars will continue. One thing is for sure, any enterprise Mark is involved will never see any of my money again.
    Wow, I always thought WG had a great reputation. (Never purchased from there myself but have been in and tried stuff and they were always very accommodating). Goes to show even the best shops get it wrong sometimes. 

I bought from them earlier this year...it was all good.

I bought from them earlier this year...it was all good.
    I bought from them for the first time just under 3years ago and received fantastic service. They’ve always impressed me.
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 508
    edited November 2020
    Project Music in Exeter. Only bought one guitar from them online few years ago. They called me and asked how I wanted setup/which strings etc. Great service. 
    Not used WG personally. 
  • I had to pop into WG last week as they'd kindly put aside a guitar box for me. They're keeping going, although obviously things aren't great. Lack of stock is as some factories stopped manufacturing for a while earlier this year/kept what product they had for home markets.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 945
    edited November 2020
    Does anyone know for sure if WG are winding down?
    They are still on the Tom Anderson site as a main dealer.  I am thinking about an order.

The next closest dealer in Guitars Rebellion in Paris. 
    They are still on the Tom Anderson site as a main dealer.  I am thinking about an order.

It was pure speculation on my part. TA is one of the few brands left that they are doing... They seem to have dropped Fender, Gibson, Knaggs and have even had minimal PRS deliveries (despite other dealers getting relatively loads more, so the lack of supply thing mentioned above doesn’t seem as realistic...)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    Whitecat said:

It was pure speculation on my part. TA is one of the few brands left that they are doing... They seem to have dropped Fender, Gibson, Knaggs and have even had minimal PRS deliveries (despite other dealers getting relatively loads more, so the lack of supply thing mentioned above doesn’t seem as realistic...)
    I,ve been into World Guitars and couple of times recently and Julian mentioned to me they are having problems getting guitars in from the USA due to Covid and manufacture shutdowns. Didn't look to me like they were winding up at all.
    Collings said:
    Whitecat said:

I,ve been into World Guitars and couple of times recently and Julian mentioned to me they are having problems getting guitars in from the USA due to Covid and manufacture shutdowns. Didn't look to me like they were winding up at all.
    I know supply chains are a little constrained but other UK dealers that share product lines with them have got way more in than they have, so hmmmm to that. Just thinking out loud. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom