Versatile Strat bridge pickup recommendation?

What's Hot
I have a Squier Standard Strat that is entirely perfect for me except I would really like the option of a bit more output in the bridge position, while also retaining the tonality of the Strat single coil. 

I'm a fan of the Seymour Duncan JB in my humbucker-equipped guitars, so something like that in a single-coil format would be great.  I know the JB Mini is supposed to meet that requirement, but would it coil split well enough to provide a Strat bridge tone?

Advice and recommendations gratefully accepted.  Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14762
    The Duncan SJBJ-1B is a rip snorting beast. This may present a problem because it cannot do the “chime” and “quack” Fender sounds, not even in coil split mode.

I suggest that you look for a single coil pickup with a DC resistance of between 9 and 11k. 

If you guitar has a fingerboard radius of 9.5” or flatter, get a pickup with equal length rod magnets.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12578
    Seymour Duncan twang banger might be worth a look. More tele style pickup. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1344
    edited November 2020
    Thanks @Funkfingers. ;I'll cross that one off the list then.  Time to do some research...
  • I too have just fitted an SD twang banger to a Strat.  It's really good.  Does all the Strat stuff still, but the bridge is now much beefier and much more useful.

Whether it's tele like I can't really say (they vary quite a lot!), but it certainly suits a Strat.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    Bod said:

I know the JB Mini is supposed to meet that requirement, but would it coil split well enough to provide a Strat bridge tone?
    Yes - as well as any mini-humbucker will, anyway. Or if you're doing it with a DPDT switch or push-pull pot you can switch it to parallel instead, which might be closer (I can't remember for that particular one).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NPPNPP Frets: 236

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1344
    NPP said:
    Hmm, that looks interesting, thanks.  I'd prefer to give my cash to Ash than SD tbh ;)  Cheers.
  • Bod said:
    NPP said:
    Hmm, that looks interesting, thanks.  I'd prefer to give my cash to Ash than SD tbh ;)  Cheers.
    I just put a Diamond Geezer in my Strat this week. I really like it. Full power is very fat and high output. Tapped output is more Stratty but still thicker and less bright than a vintage Strat bridge. Mine has a baseplate on it for even more chunk. 

@noisepolluter has a tapped Oil City that is like a Triple Blues tapped and a Stonetone at full chat, which would be good for people who want to be able to get even closer to the traditional Strat tone. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • I do sometimes wonder if I should have gone a bit higher with the full output - it’s not a big difference on mine, just a bit fatter rather than noticeably louder. Still makes a difference with overdriven sounds though, and I mostly use the tapped setting anyway.