Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Out of the freaking lue!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    Brio said:
    Agreed. Probably in the £7K range BUT he is insistant about getting it in '63 and he's no fool and it was when he turned 21. Kind of date you'd remember. I'm confused, but its not mine I just get to play it now and then. And it does sound incredible,
    I had a friend who insisted she'd seen Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight in 1971, it must have been then because that was the year her sister went to uni. 

I was only five when Hendrix died in September 1970 so got shouted down with "How would you know, you weren't there?"

Same issue with this Telecaster, and something which often makes me pause when historians interview elderly people for the "facts" from eye witnesses. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    He's old and may have created the memory from bits of memory. Apparently the mind recreates every time we remember something. We're actually remembering the memory, not the thing happening itself. So I think there's some room for manoeuvre. 

The guitar according to the Fender serial database was made in 1966. He could have remembered something else about his birthday and fused the two together. Either that or he "swapped" it with a mate's and this isn't actually the guitar he bought when he was 21. 

Either way, there must be some great stories. And I'm sure it's a lovely guitar! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Looks lovely but as already said,  its a1966 from that serial number. Pots and neck numbers should corroborate but whilst the neck number can possibly be up to a year out either way, it can't be a '63. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited November 2020
    You see, that is properly and legitimately roadworn.

Despite age and likely use, the level of wear and is nothing like often portrayed on 'roadworn' not just lightly aged/reliced guitars.

So many pre-reliced guitars are not reflective of musician's use rather just damage and abuse.

Be great if you could take the neck off.

Looks stunning though and a tele I would love to own. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Sync said:

Despite age and likely use, the level of wear and is nothing like often portrayed on 'roadworn' not just lightly aged/reliced guitars.

So many pre-reliced guitars are not reflective of musician's use rather just damage and abuse.

Couldn't agree more. Wis'd.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    jdgm said:
    Sync said:

Which is exactly why I hate heavy relics that look like a beat up abused guitar, and never will understand why people go for these. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Voxman said:
    jdgm said:
    Sync said:

Which is exactly why I hate heavy relics that look like a beat up abused guitar, and never will understand why people go for these. 
    Imho, this is a bit of a myth too...

Lots of olders guitars have this slight wear, but a look into real used and played guitar show they are indeed heavy relics. A good look in the Blackguard Tele book, for example, reveals this.

i often think that mint, unplayed old vintage guitars are unplayed for a reason; maybe they didnt play that well. I remember talking with @octatonic about this.

Anyway, back to this story... early or late 60s, it is still a great story and find.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited November 2020
    @Wazmeister ;;

Most musicians look after their instruments. Even with regular use over a long period, guitar wear is typically a per this tele. 

No different to orchestral instruments, eg string & woodwind where you just don't see the level of wear despite often being played every day for hours, carted all over the place and having relatively limited surface treatments for protection. 

When you find heavy roadworn and reliced guitars from touring/gigging this is more relective of how they have been treated not how they would naturally wear.

Those beat up old guitars covered in cigarette burns, used as a shield to fend off flying bottles and glasses or even to persuade the unruly stage invaders back down; come with great legacy, history and backstory. Whilst they do exist and you can replicate the look, you can't replicate the journey. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 961
    You...are going to give it back to him, right? 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Sadly yes. And I don't really like Teles but this does feel OK (different to what I usually play) and has one really killer sound. 
  • Could it be a 61 or 63 and he changed the neck later and forgot? 

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    edited December 2020
    If he did he had to change the neckplate too.  The F plates didn't come in until the mid-60's.