Fender Kluson tuners

I’ve just picked up an old fender jv squier telecaster for peanuts that has had the bridge and tuners swapped out for modern replacements. I’m looking to put the vintage style 6 in a line Kluson tuners back on and a more original looking bridge. Does anyone know what the quality of the genuine fender replacement Kluson tuners are like? Should I be looking elsewhere? 
I have another jv telecaster and the original Kluson tuners are amazing and the guitar stays in tune all day long.

cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    edited November 2020

Fender use two (or maybe more) types of "Kluson" tuners - Gotoh SD91s on USA and Custom Shop models, and Ping on the Mexican models.  I'm not sure about Squiers.

Both types are fine, but the Ping ones are cheaper.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Have the new tuners got a hexagnol nut on the front facia of the headstock - As such they will now have a larger hole for the string post - If so you might need to look at adaptors as per this link 

https://www.kluson.com/kluson-modern-bolt-bushing-to-vintage-push-in-cosmetic-adapter-kit-for-vintage-stamped-steel-series-tuning-machines-details.html

If they still utilise the push in 'bush' that fits around the string post then you should be fine 

IMO nothing wrong with a good Gotoh vintage style 
  • Have the new tuners got a hexagnol nut on the front facia of the headstock - As such they will now have a larger hole for the string post - If so you might need to look at adaptors as per this link 

https://www.kluson.com/kluson-modern-bolt-bushing-to-vintage-push-in-cosmetic-adapter-kit-for-vintage-stamped-steel-series-tuning-machines-details.html

If they still utilise the push in 'bush' that fits around the string post then you should be fine 

Brilliant thanks for this, food for thought 

• Have the new tuners got a hexagnol nut on the front facia of the headstock - As such they will now have a larger hole for the string post - If so you might need to look at adaptors as per this link 

Have the new tuners got a hexagnol nut on the front facia of the headstock - As such they will now have a larger hole for the string post - If so you might need to look at adaptors as per this link 

I will check for the nut as soon as the guitar arrives which will hopefully be tomorrow 

• Philly_Q said:

Fender use two (or maybe more) types of "Kluson" tuners - Gotoh SD91s on USA and Custom Shop models, and Ping on the Mexican models.  I'm not sure about Squiers.

Wicked thanks mate 
  • Philly_Q said:

The sd91 seem to be around £52 a set so that seems spot on. 

Just checking out the pictures and it appears that the tuners do have a hexagonal nut on the front. Do you reckon I will need to get one of these adaptor kits? 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader

Just checking out the pictures and it appears that the tuners do have a hexagonal nut on the front. Do you reckon I will need to get one of these adaptor kits? 
    There will be other suppliers, but I sent that link just to show what is required - But yes you'll need some

With those nuts it makes the hole wider - Hence the bushing conversions required 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779

Philly_Q said:

Wicked thanks mate 
    I just bought a set of sd91's for my Fender American Original strat (previous owner replaced a tuner with a cheapo). Got them new for less than 40 quid from axecaster. 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 766
    It will never look the same even with the adaptors. I tried it in my les paul traditional and the adaptors need to be larger than the vintage bushings to fit in the enlarged holes so it will never look the same as a vintage bushing.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnpt said:
    It will never look the same even with the adaptors. I tried it in my les paul traditional and the adaptors need to be larger than the vintage bushings to fit in the enlarged holes so it will never look the same as a vintage bushing.
    Well I’ve ordered them so will have to see. The guitar is arriving today. It will be a real shame if I can’t return this guitar to some sort of originality.