Gretsch headstock crack - resale value

What's Hot
ObiRichKenobiObiRichKenobi Frets: 31
edited November 2020 in Guitar
Hi guys just wanted a bit of input please.
I'm looking to sell my Gretsch players edition jet and it has sadly had headstock damage it wasn’t a full break just a small crack which has been professionally repaired. You can still see under the lacquer a small line where it was repaired under the right light.
How much has it been devalued or what do you think is a fair price.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Photos pls

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ObiRichKenobiObiRichKenobi Frets: 31
    edited November 2020

• main pic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pic 2

• I've no clue how much that devalues the guitar but if it were me I'd look at the going rate, knock off 10-15 % and be open and honest in the description and see what comes back.

It looks absolutely lovely and thats a keeper guitar for the right person and a minor (and by the looks of it) well repaired crack shouldn't be a deal breaker 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    I've no clue how much that devalues the guitar but if it were me I'd look at the going rate, knock off 10-15 % and be open and honest in the description and see what comes back.

It looks absolutely lovely and thats a keeper guitar for the right person and a minor (and by the looks of it) well repaired crack shouldn't be a deal breaker 
    Plus one to all of that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolutely lovely... :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Back

• That terrible crack has completely ruined any residual value - tell you what, I'll do you a favour -  just drop it in the post and I'll take it off your hands... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    I can't even see the crack, unless it's that lighter line between the E string tuners?
  • it’s hard to photo it you can see a line in the right light 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    Ah, OK!  If you hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have known it was there, although presumably it's a bit more noticeable in reality.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I would say that's at the level where it knocks off no more than about 10%. Anyone who thinks it should be cheaper than that just isn't the right buyer for this guitar - there are plenty of people who wouldn't be worried about it, and it's a desirable model so no shortage of potential buyers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• My guess is that most who are serious about that guitar would not be deterred by that and would just appreciate the honesty and the (small) reduction. In almost all cases a quality repair to a quality guitar still leaves a quality guitar.