Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is it the neck, the frets, the radius? What makes one guitar ‘feel’ better than another?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I'm of the opinion I can adapt to pretty much any neck apart from really skinny ones, they make my hand cramp up like a claw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
    edited November 2020
    Necks on my guitars:
    Ibanez Wizard ii 16" radius, 25.5" scale
    Gibson slim taper 12", 24.75"
    Epi slim taper D 12", 24.75"
    Fender C 12", 25.5"
    Hagstrom ultra thin 15", 24.75"
    Squier C 9.5", 25.5"

Love 'em all

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited November 2020
    Dan_Halen said:
    I've never been one for the 'I need this neck profile, these fret types, this number of frets, this weight, these pickups...' etc etc etc. Not really sure of the point of having a bunch of guitars that are the same is. I'd think that if you obsess too much over this stuff you're closing the door on so much great gear.
    Totally agree and that's something I've fallen foul of myself! I've avoided anything that isn't Gibson scale for so long but since setting up my cheapo parts strat a bit better and spending more time playing it I'm really enjoying it. I'm even finding I'm starting to prefer the thinner satin neck and wider string spacing which were the things I used to hate about it. I think tuning it down was a big eye opener, the longer scale length works so much better for D standard/drop C. Going back to a Gibson just sounds/feels sloppy and I dont really like the feel of anything thicker than 10-54. As someone else on here said a while ago the Gibson almost feels like you're playing an old coffee table. Got me looking at more modernised strats now like the Charvel San Dimas
  • There's no one definite element for me. I do like heavily rolled edges and taller frets, but aside from that I don't have a specific thing that makes or breaks a guitar, and I'm fine with skinny frets if everything else is right. 

Perversely I also have no issue with a relatively high action either.

I guess I don't like extremes of fat and skinny necks but anything in the middle is fine. The Gibson "Rounded 60's" is probably my favourite profile but I'm not too fussy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    In my experience, if a nut isn’t cut properly and the frets aren’t level then getting mushy over the specs is pointless. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    I can adapt to pretty much anything too but I guess some of it depends on the guitar. I've a Japanese '62 reissue Strat that's 7.5 radius high-ish action that on specs and Internet wisdom would suggest should be terrible for bending etc..and in reality it's just as easy as other guitars with pretty flat radii and very low actions
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    In my experience, if a nut isn’t cut properly and the frets aren’t level then getting mushy over the specs is pointless. 

Do you level the frets of the necks you sell or can that only be done once the guitar is put together?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    It depends how much mojo it absorbed whilst being made. Mojo can be found in sparse quantities in the atmosphere, but you occasionally get small pockets with more mojo, also the guitars inherent ability to absorb mojo comes into play. When the guitar is new and finished, the mojo is trapped inside, but gradually as the finish wears the mojo comes to the surface and affects playability in a positive way. If you were to scrub your guitar at this time with a mixture of coca cola and bleach you would remove the mojo - this is why no-one ever scrubs their guitar with a mixture of coca cola and bleach. 

Also, if a unicorn pissed on the tree that the guitar was made from this can exponentially increase the level of mojo. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:

Do you level the frets of the necks you sell or can that only be done once the guitar is put together?
    The necks I do have levelled frets and a bone nut (by Ernie Mcmillen). I do the rest of the work. It’s the best combination to make sure the customer is happy with their neck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    ^ that may explain the popularity of relic  guitars. Who has the time to put play wear on a guitar when it be be done with a dremmel and a rusty razor, mojo accomplished 
    tFB Trader
    BlueStrat said:
    ^ that may explain the popularity of relic  guitars. Who has the time to put play wear on a guitar when it be be done with a dremmel and a rusty razor, mojo accomplished 
    I think that’s a rather condescending response which undermines part of what I do for a living. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Paul Reed Smith (the world's greatest Gibson fanboy) used to keep a 1955 Gibson Les Paul in his office, right next to him, when he was perfecting his own guitars. This was revealed some years ago, when the guitar came up for sale, and was accompanied by a letter from Paul Reed Smith.

When I was in my late teens, I was similarly inspired by briefly handling a couple of fifties Gold Tops and the feel of the neck was 90% of what made the guitar so desirable. It seemed that  every guitar player I met  was obsessed with those guitars, and this was before any of us had encountered either the concept of  Mojo,  or indignant essays about Mojo which doth protest too much.

I would say that neck shape and neck stiffness are the 2 most important elements. The current owners of the Gibson brand can copy the neck shape for their range of replica vintage guitars. I am guessing that neck stiffness is harder to replicate.

BlueStrat said:
    I think that’s a rather condescending response which undermines part of what I do for a living. 
    Eh? It was posted in reply to @axisus post on the guitar’s mojo coming to the surface when the finish wears, as i have no unicorn piss to enrich mine
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    BlueStrat said:
    BlueStrat said:
    Eh? It was posted in reply to @axisus post on the guitar’s mojo coming to the surface when the finish wears, as i have no unicorn piss to enrich mine
    I figured that was the case, just a bit of awkward timing!
    axisus said:
    BlueStrat said:
    BlueStrat said:
    I figured that was the case, just a bit of awkward timing!
    Your post had me laughing, loved it - coca cola and bleach :D

• A good fret crowning and rolled edges on the fretboard are essential for me. I can play pretty much any neck profile other than that.

Bye!

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    A good fret crowning and rolled edges on the fretboard are essential for me. I can play pretty much any neck profile other than that.
    Glad to see quite a few others mention the rolled edges of the fretboard cause that is so important for me so glad I'm not the only one.

I bought an American neck for a lot of money purely for that feature and I definitely feel it's worth it.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Rolled edges do make a big difference. Yet another reason why the mid priced Charvel guitars are so much more interesting to me than the Fender Players :) seems they put all the good features on Charvel and keep the Fender ones traditional and clunky.