5 top E string breaks in a row

What's Hot
adampeteradampeter Frets: 797
edited November 2020 in Guitar
Broke 5 top E strings in 24 hours, all broken around the 6th fret of a Fender CS strat, strings were 9s, and all went bending up a whole tone.
I've checked and double checked for a sharp fret with no luck, guitar is new to me so is there something else i need to look at?
Intro to Texas Flood is the culprit 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    edited November 2020
    something sharp on the string saddle ??
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    If they're all breaking at the 6th fret when you bend you've either got a sharp fret edge or a sharp finger ;). Either that you've got a very odd bad batch of strings with a weak point in the middle, but that's very unlikely.

Breaking in the middle guarantees it's not the saddle, bridgeplate or machinehead post - the most common causes - since if it was, they would break there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• moremore Frets: 230
    edited November 2020
    Have the strings broken in the same place? I know it might be hard to tell . But assuming the guitar is tuned properly, it might be a problem with , the bridge , frets, nut  or tuning post . 
  • Ebay "special" strings?
  • more said:
    Have the strings broken in the same place  , I know it might be hard to tell . But assuming the guitar is tuned properly, it might be a problem with , the bridge , frets, nut  or tuning post . 
    As far as i can tell, very much at the 6th
    ICBM said:
    If they're all breaking at the 6th fret when you bend you've either got a sharp fret edge or a sharp finger ;). Either that you've got a very odd bad batch of strings with a weak point in the middle, but that's very unlikely.

Breaking in the middle guarantees it's not the saddle, bridgeplate or machinehead post - the most common causes - since if it was, they would break there.
    Looks like i'm going to have to get my jewellers eyepiece out  ;) if its a sharp fret (and i'm pretty sure it is) its not obvious at all.
    The strings were all ernie balls from strings direct, but were all the same batch so i may have been unlucky
  • moremore Frets: 230
    Put some masking tape  next to the fret and give   a rub with same  fine wet and dry 
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    Not my fix - someone gave me this advice years ago on another forum, anyway if you rub a cotton bud in the area of the break if there’s a sharp spot that might find it, ie catch the cotton wool.  Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited November 2020
    I was about to say Stop using Ernie Balls when I saw the strings mentioned
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Maybe file the sharp edges off your claws?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

I'm with you on this - Almost unheard of to break 5 top E's in the middle of a fingerboard - Such a breakage eliminates all the usual suspects 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    String brand could be significant. The way some manufacturers pack their strings could influence how they uncoil from the packets, prior to putting them on the guitar. There could be a kink in the string - even before you touch it.

ICBM said:
    If they're all breaking at the 6th fret when you bend you've either got a sharp fret edge or a sharp finger ;).
    One other possibility - albeit a very faint one. If the fingerboard is unvarnished, it could be harbouring abrasive residue from files or stones. Of course, any residue far enough away from the fret wire for the string to come into contact with it should also be lacerating yo’ fingertips. 

My guess is a tiny nick in the crown of the fret.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I've inspected all the frets and found nothing, all extremely smooth, fretwork is very tidy, but being a 2018 CS strat i would expect it to be
    Must be a bad batch of strings, i've ordered another batch from another supplier, fingers crossed it solves the issue, if not i will have to learn to play jazz   B)

• carloscarlos Frets: 3692
    adampeter said:
    I've inspected all the frets and found nothing, all extremely smooth, fretwork is very tidy, but being a 2018 CS strat i would expect it to be
    Must be a bad batch of strings, i've ordered another batch from another supplier, fingers crossed it solves the issue, if not i will have to learn to play jazz   B)

Same note on the 11 fret of the B string
  • Quick update
    Had a replacement EB slinky high E on for a week now, Gilmour 2.5 step bends no problem, must have been a bad batch of strings
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    Was it a full moon when they snapped?

;-)
    tFB Trader
    adampeter said:
    Quick update
    Had a replacement EB slinky high E on for a week now, Gilmour 2.5 step bends no problem, must have been a bad batch of strings
    glad it appears to be okay - But still to break 5 in a row is still a bad fluke
  • adampeter said:
    Quick update
    Mad ain't it, but after a week with a new string playing exactly the same way i can't think of another reason, and the previous strings were bought together
    tFB Trader
    adampeter said:
    adampeter said:
    Quick update
    Mad ain't it, but after a week with a new string playing exactly the same way i can't think of another reason, and the previous strings were bought together
    That is the bit that makes it more mad and mysterious - Over the years I've had the odd complaint, from a customer, about a set of strings and 1 breaking straight away - And as we've mentioned above, many times we find a reason - But this just baffles me - Key thing is it appears to be resolved