What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AlexO said:
    Stunning 
    does it make you play like Barrie?
    I wish!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That really exceptional work - congrats and thanks for sharing such a detailed run down! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108

I was genuinely shocked when I started reading this and saw the first three pictures headed "Before" and "After"!

Wow, what a transformation.  It looks fantastic and I think you were right not to bother with the varitone, useless bloody things.

For some reason Imgur doesn't function on my work computer, but I'll take a look at the other pics later, very interested to see them.

I'm glad (and a bit surprised) to see that nobody's come in with "what a waste of a 335" comments.  You've got something much more interesting, much more personal and I'm sure it won't be going anywhere.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    smudge_lad said:

In the end however, I decided that my guitar was not, and never would be a '345' so I thought it was an added extra that would just add cost without adding any value, or really make much difference to the end result - the guitar looks stunning and cool without it
    The Varitone is also a nuisance on a guitar with a Bigsby since it's too close to the arm cam, both visually and practically if you do want to use it. It's better without.
    agree about avoiding the Varitone - I did an early 60's refurbishment a while ago on a ES345 with @SteveRobinson ; - Wasn't original anymore and was never going to be original again - But a hell of a guitar - So took out the varitone - left in a dummy pot, with chicken knob, to 'look authentic' and cover the hole - Better without it IMO as it sucks the tone, even on bypass
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    Just to clarify, I wasn't saying the OP should have put a Varitone in. I was just asking if he had considered it, bearing in mind he was attempting to recreate a specific 345 which had one.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    Hattigol said:
    Just to clarify, I wasn't saying the OP should have put a Varitone in. I was just asking if he had considered it, bearing in mind he was attempting to recreate a specific 345 which had one.

Yeah, it was a perfectly reasonable question.  I'd have considered it myself if I was going for a specific look. 

I've got a BC Rich Mockingbird (very different guitar!) with a varitone and I really don't like it.  I'm always trying to think of an alternative use for that control, but I'd probably just settle for disconnecting it and leaving it there as a dummy.

• SchmoSchmo Frets: 175
    Congrats, that is an incredible transformation and man, what a guitar ! I’m going to check out that guys site and as I’m pretty close it’s really given me food for thought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing guitar! CME did a '63 ES335 run with the split parallelogram inlays a few years ago, which is very similar but without the bigsby. I've been trying to track one down for ages. I am very impressed by Smiggs work!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2149
    Not a relic fan at all, but that is tastefully done. I had a black jap custom and it's a strong look.
  • I hope I haven’t bored you all to death!

Cheers

Keir

Really excellent and not at all boring, an enjoyable read!
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1092
    Just seen this on Smiggs insta, the mans a wizard. Congrats on the guitar, it really is a stunner.
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 339
    Great story and cracking looking guitar! Thanks for sharing, a really enjoyable read
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Keir, great thread mate - well written and great photees !

Im delighted for you; it looks superb. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    It's a Keir Stormer!

Sorry....someone had to.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    That is bloody marvelous
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks cool as. Thanks for sharing!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• BasherBasher Frets: 1249
    Brilliant work and you have something quite special there. A black Gibson is a proper classy looking thing and the black-over-burst with a relic job as good as yours is stunning.
    I love Barrie's music and playing and also love 345s and 355s. I have a 345 reissue from a few years ago and your guitar has reminded me how cool Bigsbys and "Custom Made" plaques look!

• That screams ‘play me’! If we had guitar of the week (or month) that’d take it by a country mile, absolutely fantastic. Enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom