Budget Rickenbacker

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    dogload said:
    There used to be quite a few Japanese Rickenfakers back in the day - Ibanez, Greco and Aria spring to mind and those I've played have actually been very good. These days however because of John Hall's stringent litigious policy of stamping on anything Ric-like it's unlikely that there'll be anything of that quality getting through. There's always the Chinese ones that you can order (AliExpress?) but I've heard very er...'mixed' reviews of these.

Actually Rickenbacker did do budget 'catalogue' models back in the 60s, under the 'Electro' brand name - Trivia Ed.

Yep - I was going to mention the Electro brand.

I've had a few Japanese fakers, but am down to one at the moment (or two if you include the laughable Kay K-20B).

Most of the Japanese ones came from a couple of factories, but were sold with different branding (Ibanez, Aria, Greco, CMI, Shaftesbury, and others).

I've also got a couple of projects on the go which are based on barebones Chickenbackers (which do have the correct scale length but still have oversized bodies).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    I once owned a Tanglewood '330' and it was actually less of a disappointment than my real 330.
  • steersteer Frets: 1233
    I also reported it, the seller admits he’s selling a counterfeit item. But alas, ebay love getting their fees.

I’m almost tempted to buy it, complain that I was sold a fake, get refunded, and gleefully destroy the thing on ebay’s instruction.

Wow. That's just weird. It says quite clearly that it is a copy. Why does that make you so angry?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Deadman said:
    I once owned a Tanglewood '330' and it was actually less of a disappointment than my real 330.
    Currently sat on my sofa playing my 330 and for the life of me can’t think why anyone would find one a disappointment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    Deadman said:
    Genuinely curious, are you referring to the Tanglewood TW61?

That's the one @Kittyfrisk . Bloody great guitar. Honestly!
    Deadman said:
    Currently sat on my sofa playing my 330 and for the life of me can’t think why anyone would find one a disappointment.
    Just in relation to cost vs performance bud.
  • Deadman said:
    Deadman said:
    Just in relation to cost vs performance bud.
    Fair point, particularly if it’s a brand new one. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    Deadman said:
    That's the one @Kittyfrisk . Bloody great guitar. Honestly!
    No shit. No argument from me  ;)
    I also have one that is fitted with genuine R******acker Hi Gain pickups, tuners & wiring harness and a TonePros bridge.
    Sounds pretty damn good to me and everyone else that has ever played it when compared to the 'real deal', but I would say that, wouldn't I?
    Yet according to the 'experts' that have never held, seen or heard or played it, apparently it it is an aberration that should only exist briefly on a funeral pyre.
    But... I do not condone at at all faking guitars & passing them off as something that they are not.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Msteer said:
    I also reported it, the seller admits he’s selling a counterfeit item. But alas, ebay love getting their fees.

I’m almost tempted to buy it, complain that I was sold a fake, get refunded, and gleefully destroy the thing on ebay’s instruction.

Wow. That's just weird. It says quite clearly that it is a copy. Why does that make you so angry?
    It’s not anger, just a professional opinion. Selling counterfeit items is illegal. Would you be ok with me stealing a guitar from your house as long as I admitted it?
  • The seller also claims its "authentic" and mentions John Lennon in the title... and the main photo is the Rickenbacker logo. 

• steersteer Frets: 1233
    edited November 2020
    The seller also claims its "authentic" and mentions John Lennon in the title... and the main photo is the Rickenbacker logo. 

"Authenitc Reproduction" are the words he uses.

If anyone buys this and then claims to have been unaware that they were not buying the real thing then they are very stupid indeed.
    Msteer said:

It’s not anger, just a professional opinion. Selling counterfeit items is illegal. Would you be ok with me stealing a guitar from your house as long as I admitted it?

Putting the brand name on it is where it steps over the line.

Whether the seller says it's a genuine (sorry, "authentic") fake does not make it legal to sell; it's still a counterfeit.

It's also worth pointing out that they are only £200 new (including shipping) from dhgate https://uk.dhgate.com/product/john-lennon-ric-325-short-scale-length-527mm/521120948.html (incuding a fake signature!).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    If you gave that story to ebay, they’d believe it.
  • Direct clones aside, why aren’t there more builds in the vein of Rickenbacker?

They have a relatively unique construction, but nothing that couldn’t be applied to other body-shapes. The only ones that spring to mind are Fano, Rivolta, and Novo, and they’re all the same designer! It seems like an odd gap in the market if you’re far enough away in design from litigation threats
  • Banning too. He does a tele / Ric hybrid which I don’t hate as much as I should. 
    Direct clones aside, why aren’t there more builds in the vein of Rickenbacker?

They have a relatively unique construction, but nothing that couldn’t be applied to other body-shapes. The only ones that spring to mind are Fano, Rivolta, and Novo, and they’re all the same designer! It seems like an odd gap in the market if you’re far enough away in design from litigation threats

There's the B&CH (BaCH) Riverboat bass, which I keep nearly tempting myself to check (or is that czech?) out.

There are a couple of quality custom makers in the UK and similarly in the US which can be commissioned to build top quality instruments.

I'm not a fan of the looks of the Harleys, which look like Chickenbackers made to appear like they are avoiding litigation (which is what they are, I suppose), but the Rivoltas are nice, in an ice-cream/diner sort of way.

• There are the Italias
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited November 2020
    Just noticed the subject of this evenings CGS YouTube live stream at 18:30
    Should be worth a look.
    https://youtu.be/opnbZLBpKDQ