Vanson Pickups?

OK, I have a 2016 Gibson SG Standard P90 T.
I'm looking to pop a couple of humbucker pickups into it (No routing needed as it's already routed under the batwing to fit both HB and P90s, I have the pickguard ready and waiting).

I don't want to spend a load of dosh right now, just fancy giving it a go.

Question is, I've seen Vanson pickups online for very humble money and was just wondering if anyone has any experience of them?

Also, Alnico II '57s or Alnico V 59s for an SG?

Failing that - next option up would probably be Iron Gear Blues Engines.

Any advice welcomed.

Ta.
Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2627
    tFB Trader
    Vanson are excellent..  Such great sounding pickups for the price..  Really really..  I have used them on many builds... I would also advise to go with some PIO caps...

My favourite pickups I have tried from them are the humbucker sized P90s.. Really clear and open... But they have all been good so far.
  • Not Vanson but Alegree Old Timers are getting a LOT of plaudits here -

Not sure if they're in budget but they may be worth a look.

I've not had pickups from Vanson, just hardware, and it has been remarkable value for money.

• ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Thanks @Rabs That's good to hear.

Thanks also @mikem8634 They look very good also and well worth consideration but with covers they come out at £80 for a pair as opposed to £31 for Vanson and at the moment I'm looking for cheap.

Thanks again

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2627
    tFB Trader
    Heres a sound sample for you on the humbucker sized P90s

Rabs said:
    Heres a sound sample for you on the humbucker sized P90s

Excellent, Thanks
  • Ooof! Fair enough @ellangus I didn't realise there would quite that much of a difference between them.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    I put some tonerider pickups in a few of mine, v happy with them
    If I were looking to do it again would try alegree next
  • Vanson are great value for money and sound good (I’ve had a few, the humbucker sized p90, a strat Middle pickup iirc). You may well find you upgrade in due course, but you can’t go wrong with that as a starting point at that price.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14762
    The demarkation between some of the Vanson pickup models is a bit of a swizz.

For example, the Rockatron is just an 8/9k neck/bridge humbucker pair, dressed in slotted metal covers and with twelve adjustable polepiece screws instead of six. The DCR and bar magnet material options are identical to the faux PAF models.

OTOH, if you are paying under twenty Quid per unit, what’s not to like, already?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’ve used Vanson pickups 3 times, if memory serves, and always been very happy with them.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Thanks all. Comments much appreciated 
  • Entwistel pickups can be another option. They do some neodymium based pickups too:

http://www.entwistlepickups.com/
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    edited November 2020
    Is anyone here familiar with John Robson

As a youtuber  a company recently offered to build him a custom signature guitar

he chose Vason pickups as his no1 choice.So they must have something going for them

Cheers guys.

OK, does anyone know if there is much of a REAL difference between the Alnico II 57's and the Alnico V 59's or which might work best in an SG?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14762
    edited November 2020
    The difference between A2 and A5 is that the latter has a stronger magnetic field. For any given height adjustment, A5 delivers a more trebly sound than A2.

Other Alnico magnet formulations exist but, as far as I know, Vanson does not offer those.

On a vintage spec SG, I would be more concerned about whether the humbuckers are covered than what magnet material is inside them.

The 2005 Gibson SG Special that I traded with HarrySeven three weeks ago had 490R/T (A2). My Fakai SG has PRS SE #7 ‘S’ humbuckers. I need to check the specs of these before asserting what their respective magnets are.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.