Mesa Cab Clone

What's Hot

Comments

• Dave_Mc said:
    Hang on, you guys are actually listening to the vid? I was just making crap jokes. >:D< Is it worth watching?
    Yeah, but don't expect your mind to be blown.  I was kinda hopeful, Mesa are known to get things right...

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but it seems to have the same qualities as other emulated outs I've heard, which are fine, but not amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    It sounds like the emulated out you get on Peavey amps - usable, but it's not as good as mic'd up.  It has a crispy, sizzly harshness on top.  

Fine for recording, and fine for practice but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it when simmilar technology comes in a new Peavey Bandit... Not sure if that one mutes the speaker, though.
    I would expect you can put a headphone plug in the jack to mute the speaker and still keep the direct output on. Doesn't really matter if not, since being a solid-state amp and with push-connectors on the speaker, if there's no other way you can always just disconnect it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    Richardj said:
    Couldn't they have just built this into the amps to start with. I'm pretty sure my Koch Twintone II has something very similar built in as part of the amp design and that is a few years old now. Very late to the party.
    They did.  In the Nomads.  The headphone out is quite good, and makes it a great idea.  I just wish I'd got a 1x12 instead of the 4x10.
  • ICBM;289520" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

It sounds like the emulated out you get on Peavey amps - usable, but it's not as good as mic'd up.  It has a crispy, sizzly harshness on top.  

Fine for recording, and fine for practice but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it when simmilar technology comes in a new Peavey Bandit... Not sure if that one mutes the speaker, though.

I would expect you can put a headphone plug in the jack to mute the speaker and still keep the direct output on. Doesn't really matter if not, since being a solid-state amp and with push-connectors on the speaker, if there's no other way you can always just disconnect it.
    Cool.

They have it on other amps, the 6505 and 3120 both have it I think. They sound better for obvious reasons but they still have that same quality through the direct out thingy - it's not bad, but I was really hoping mesa had made a circuit that would do this but sound a bit better and more natural (for want of a better description).

Still useful, mind, but I don't think I'd pay through the nose for one.
    Cacofonix said:
    They did.  In the Nomads.  The headphone out is quite good, and makes it a great idea.  I just wish I'd got a 1x12 instead of the 4x10.
    It's in quite a lot of the models from around that time including the Dual Calibers and some of the Subways as well, but it isn't the same as taking a signal from a dummy load - it mutes the input to the power amp and derives the signal from the preamp only via a separate solid-state headphone/line driver amplifier.

That doesn't mean it's a bad thing - I used the one in a Subway Rocket on purpose when I was doing some recording because I got a 'better' (more appropriate to the band) sound that way than mic'ing the speaker!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I like it. It could be just what I was looking for! The direct sound isn't too bad. I've heard worse. Seems a bit more "real" than a Palmer which to me sounds a little sterile. This does too but not as much.
  • bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    headphone out is something im interested in, but im guessing this is going to be over the £500 mark which means ill be sticking with my mini terror
  • bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    hmm according to 7 string and a call to sweetwater RRP is $299...,So about £500 in the UK im guessing!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bigdawg said:
    hmm according to 7 string and a call to sweetwater RRP is $299...,So about £500 in the UK im guessing!
    Probably :).

That's about what I was expecting for the US price actually - so I will guess just under £300 UK, given that they haven't marked up the pedals as much as they do the amps. Which is probably at least £100 too much given by what you can see of the insides in the video...

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    The Palmer PDI 03 costs £313, so compared to the competition £300 would make sense.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Dave_Mc said:
    Hang on, you guys are actually listening to the vid? I was just making crap jokes. >:D< Is it worth watching?
    Yeah, but don't expect your mind to be blown.  I was kinda hopeful, Mesa are known to get things right...

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but it seems to have the same qualities as other emulated outs I've heard, which are fine, but not amazing.
    Yeah. Didn't sound that great in the vid, but then I'm just using stock laptop speakers and also I'm pretty sure that's the first emulated out vid I've ever listened to... :))
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    £219 at GAK
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    I'd rather get a TwoNotes Torpedo cab or torpedo live, which I may well do having watched this demo

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    slate said:
    £219 at GAK
    Pretty good price
    If it was a load box too it would be the dream. Different price point mind you!
    I'd rather get a TwoNotes Torpedo cab or torpedo live, which I may well do having watched this demo

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If it were me I'd buy my powerbrake in the classifieds ;). Shameless!
    Seen them and yes they are super pricey. I did consider getting the C.A.B. and a custom dummy load. I wanted it small and the Mesa fits the bill. I think the direct out tone will be more than acceptable by the time you stick a band around it.

• FelineGuitars;290195" said:

I use their cab emulation plug in, wall of sound, and it really is quite great. I set it up with lepou 456 and you can achieve sludge through to djent and it really is amazing.

A company to be trusted I reckon.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    Ok I was wrong there is a line out with no simulation. That'll teach me to not read properly. Have edited my posts to avoid confusion. I'm now much more interested at the price. @spacecadet (since you were interested)