Locking tuner post height?

What's Hot
PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
edited November 2020 in Guitar
Just checking something, as I've just installed some Gotoh locking tuners on a PRS SE.

Silly me, I didn't think of measuring the thickness of the headstock, and assumed the standard length the Gotoh SG381s are sold in (20mm from base to post hole) would be a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.

Turns out the hole is very close to the mounting nut:

Too close for comfort?

The strings slot in no problem (and obviously there's no need for wraps). I was worried about the break angle on the nut but it seems OK to me, although I would appreciate more clued-up people chiming in:

Am I worrying for nothing?

Cheers!
Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Perfect height.

Maximum break angle without any risk of the strings binding against the collars.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @ICBM - it's my first set of thumbwheel locking tuners so wasn't quite sure, but that all makes sense! I've actually just noticed that PRS's own locking tuners also have a very low string hole.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    ICBM said:
    Perfect height.

Maximum break angle without any risk of the strings binding against the collars.
    What he said. You have a nice back angle on that headstock, and of course with locking tuners you don’t need multiple wraps around the post...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Having so little of the posts showing removes the temptation to have superfluous string wraps around them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It does look strange but the fact you can still get the nut on would suggest it's OK?
  • Yeah so far so good - looks like they are designed to be very low profile. Turns out there's an extra-long post option but even that just adds 1-2mm I think
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Gotoh’s on my Ibby are also lowriders. The treble ones lower as theyre staggered. Probably a mm higher than yours. 

As long as the nut has gone a couple turns on the post when installing I’m sure it’d be fine, as you say everything else clears also. 

If you only managed half a turn on the nut might come loose, I dunno? 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    skunkwerx said:

As long as the nut has gone a couple turns on the post when installing I’m sure it’d be fine, as you say everything else clears also.

If you only managed half a turn on the nut might come loose, I dunno? 
    If they only go on a turn or so they will usually strip the thread when you tighten them, even if you don't overdo it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah these got a few turns on, felt pretty secure when installing. A few days later, no issues (although it feels very strange seeing so little post on the headstock!)
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 1018
    Same thing with the locking Gotoh vintage I fitted to my PRS SE ZM. Had absolutely no issues whatever
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???