Guitar setup

On my les paul copy I can only get sound from the B string D , A, and low E,  but the high E and the G strings are dead
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 961
    Might need a new nut
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • Could you describe the 'dead' sound? Post pictures if possible. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Dead when you play it unplugged, or only through the amp? - this is less likely, but possible. If so, on only one pickup or both? If unplugged...

Dead everywhere on the fingerboard, or only at one end? If it's only at the nut end and/or in the middle, it will be the nut or the neck relief. If it's everywhere or only at the body end, it will be the bridge. There's also an outside possibility that the neck is twisted, but this is not very common.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    edited November 2020 tFB Trader
    On my les paul copy I can only get sound from the B string D , A, and low E,  but the high E and the G strings are dead
    What make of guitar is it ?

Is this a guitar you have recently acquired ? 

Has it been fine in the past and now only recently gone dead ?

the dead strings, are they dead on open notes only ? - Or dead on any/all fretted notes ?

Assume you don't mean dead in that there is no sound, or any format, when the guitar is plugged into the amp - ie the electrics are actually okay 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Hi Phil - welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like it could be a number of things, possibly including the truss rod being too tight if the issue is only on the first few frets>
    A bit more detailed description will help you get answers that more closely resemble what may be going on with the guitar.

Also - simple question - how new are the strings?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    Try loosening the truss rod a bit
  • Got any pictures of your guitar ?