EMG 89/SA/SA wiring help

What's Hot
BorkBork Frets: 259
edited November 2020 in Making & Modding
I want to wire my HSS strat so I can select bridge and neck pickups in the middle position of the 5 way selector.  

Is this possible?  I have a feeling it may not but google is not my friend, nor Yahoo for that matter.  

If it is,  would the mod be a simple rewire of the pickup selector like on a passive strat?  

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1984
    You need a Superswitch to do this. Here’s an example used on Nashville Style Telecasters (3 pickups). https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/557883472568843490/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    Yes, unfortunately you need a complicated switch to do this apparently simple thing - it’s because the standard 5-way is actually just a 3-way with extra notches.

There’s a version of the Schaller Megaswitch which does it too, which is simpler - the E model. I’m not a huge fan of the feel of them and I’ve seen a couple of reliability problems with them, but they’re not bad.

The switching with EMGs is always the same as for passive pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11758
    tFB Trader
    Or just add a mini toggle to give you the option of 2 more sounds to the 5 way

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 259
    edited November 2020
    Thanks chaps

[This space for rent]

edited November 2020
    Or just add a mini toggle to give you the option of 2 more sounds to the 5 way
    I'm reluctant to drill a hole in the pickguard, in what is already a neat layout that relies on push pull pots to split the 89.  I guess I'll have to nose about for the Schaller Superswitch E (thanks @ICBM ;;).

[This space for rent]

edited November 2020
    Also - while I have your attention, the single coil mode of the 89 is a lot quieter than the middle and neck SA's .  I was going to reduce the heights of the SA's to match the output of the 89 in single coil mode but the 89 would still jump significantly in volume when HB mode was switched in.  Specs of the output voltage for both pickups say 1v (89 in SC mode) so perhaps this difference is not intensional on the part of EMG.  

89 spec
    SA spec

Am I missing something?

[This space for rent]

• exocetexocet Frets: 1984
    The other way to do it is to replace one of the Tone pots with a Blend pot. Basically it’s a pot with a break in the track so that you can “break the circuit” when the pot is at the end of its travel. So you end up with a Master Volume, Master Tone and a Blend that fades in the Neck p/u when switch is set to Bridge and visa versa. I have one of my Strats set up this way.
    Unfortunately the spare tone is already a tbx boost.  There's not much flexibility beyond the pick selector. 

[This space for rent]

Bork said:
    Also - while I have your attention, the single coil mode of the 89 is a lot quieter than the middle and neck SA's .  I was going to reduce the heights of the SA's to match the output of the 89 in single coil mode but the 89 would still jump significantly in volume when HB mode was switched in.  Specs of the output voltage for both pickups say 1v (89 in SC mode) so perhaps this difference is not intensional on the part of EMG.  

Am I missing something?
    Not sure - I've noticed this with a three-SA set as well. The bridge is much quieter than the other two, and even than the bridge+middle - on a passive guitar the loading of the pickups on each other reduces the volume of the parallel positions, but this doesn't happen with the buffered EMGs, so the bridge then seems unusually quiet compared to all four other positions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11758
    tFB Trader
    You could swap the wiring of the neck and middle if position 2 is not so important to you

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

You could swap the wiring of the neck and middle if position 2 is not so important to you
    Position 2 is important for practicing those Alan Murphy lines :-)   His signature sound was 'position 2'

[This space for rent]

edited November 2020
    ICBM said:
    Not sure - I've noticed this with a three-SA set as well. The bridge is much quieter than the other two, and even than the bridge+middle - on a passive guitar the loading of the pickups on each other reduces the volume of the parallel positions, but this doesn't happen with the buffered EMGs, so the bridge then seems unusually quiet compared to all four other positions.
    I'd like to avoid taking the guitar apart and checking the wiring.  It's a 12 year old prewired pickguard as well with the EMG proprietary socket system so I would be very surprised to find any mistakes.  The awkward thing is that the coil switching method for the 89 isn't clear, the website says the switching is 'electronic'.   It might as well be voodoo for all it matters!

I suppose an email to EMG  technical support may be the only option.

[This space for rent]

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14762
    Bork said:
    Am I missing something?
    No. All of the EMG dual mode humbuckers do that, sir.

In theory, it ought to be possible to add a resistor via the shunts on the push-pull mode switch for the -89. I have no idea what values would bring the -89 output down to -SA level.

My own solution to this dilemma was to use an EMG-HA in the bridge position and dial in an -SPC mid booster to get humbuckeresque sounds (and power). Very Gilmourish. ;)

The superswitch and Seven Sound suggestions depend on permanently soldered connections at the selector switch end. Solderless™ wiring harnesses will require some modification.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Bork said:
    Position 2 is important for practicing those Alan Murphy lines :-)   His signature sound was 'position 2'
    Or swap bridge and middle. That would give you neck, neck+bridge, bridge, middle+bridge, middle in that order.