Comments

• hoopshoops Frets: 240
    808 sounds best to me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    hoops said:
    808 sounds best to me. 

Agree

TS9 definitely has a harsher top end in that clip. I know @ICBM maintains the two are identical, so it could just be a different taper on the tone pot.  I think there is a difference though.  I'm certain my TS9 sounded a bit warmer when I modded it to TS808 specs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited November 2020
    In the interests of objectivity, the comparison should be double blind. 

In the real world, an advocate of any particular variant of the effect pedals being compared is likely to have his or her prejudices confirmed when the preferred model appears on screen.

Further, because different overdrive units may respond differently to player dynamics, there is a risk that the player changes dynamic input to get the desired result from each unit.

Thus, it should be possible to have a fun time with any iteration of the TS - if that happens to be your thing.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    808 for me
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    TS9 sounded a bit brighter.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    crunchman said:

TS9 definitely has a harsher top end in that clip. I know @ICBM maintains the two are identical, so it could just be a different taper on the tone pot.  I think there is a difference though.  I'm certain my TS9 sounded a bit warmer when I modded it to TS808 specs.
    Some TS-9s have different chips, and that does make a difference to the top-end at higher gain settings.

There is no difference in the sound when the only difference in the circuit are the two output buffer resistors though - I fitted one with a switch to select the 808 values and it was impossible to tell any difference even when switching directly on the fly.

Different examples of even identical models can sound different though - I recently A/B'd two original 1983 TS-9s, both completely stock and apparently identical, and they sounded quite noticeably different - this is due to component tolerances and drift. So it's not at all unlikely that a particular 808 will sound different from a particular 9.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KDSKDS Frets: 255
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

Some TS-9s have different chips, and that does make a difference to the top-end at higher gain settings.

There is no difference in the sound when the only difference in the circuit are the two output buffer resistors though - I fitted one with a switch to select the 808 values and it was impossible to tell any difference even when switching directly on the fly.

Different examples of even identical models can sound different though - I recently A/B'd two original 1983 TS-9s, both completely stock and apparently identical, and they sounded quite noticeably different - this is due to component tolerances and drift. So it's not at all unlikely that a particular 808 will sound different from a particular 9.
    Electrelectic capitors typically have +-20% that will change tone hugely, even though it is the same circuit
  • ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

I can believe that. i have an early 80’s ts9 and over never heard another one quite like it. And I’ve had loads of tube screamers over the years. 
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    808 for me by a good way.  The other two sounded pretty similar to my ears.
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    We forgive my pedantry but shouldn't this post be in the FX section
    Don't touch that dial.