Advice on guitar purchase please...

What's Hot
I am looking to buy either a....

New Gretsch G6228 ... single cut with broadtrons

Or

S/hand USA Thinline Tele

I already have a great Strat and Jazzmaster but looking for more rock tones from one of these. The Gretsch is a strong contender, but Teles do rock!? 

It's my last purchase (cough....determined!)

Ta for you'll help...Jon
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    I love the way those G6228s sound. I’d probably do that personally. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, can't test, but concerned the Tele would have a woody thin drive sound 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited November 2020
    I'd go Tele Thinline but the dual humbucker early 70s version rather than single coils. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1380
    JonHosker said:

You're delirious 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably am...!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    I do love a tele but in that situation, I’d take the Jet. Seems you’re pretty well covered for Fender style/bolt on plank guitars and the Gretsch takes you somewhere else. 

And all the actual in the hands of players reviews of the new Player Edition guitars have been really favourable. Even if they are close to heresy ;)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’d go for the Gretsch.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I'd go for the Tele, because Gretsches don't really physically suit me. That's far more important than anything to do with the sound, which can more easily be changed with different pickups, especially on the Tele.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'd go WRHB Thinline Tele between those, not least as stoptail Gretsches are an abomination. In reality I have a thinline La Cabronita which is a proper halfway house between Gretsch and Tele and and awesome guitar. 

Tbh Teles are the only singlecuts that have really ever worked for me. YMMV! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 304
    I have both a Tele with two humbuckers and a  Gretsch Jet. 

I would pick the Jet, just because it’s different sounding and feeling guitar. But bear in mind that the scale is much shorter and might feel odd in the beginning. The neck is pretty thin too. 

With a Strat and a Jazzmaster you can mimic telecaster sounds. It’s not gonna sound the same but it should be close enough. 

Also, I’m planing to convert my Tele to humbucker in neck and single coil in the bridge because I’m missing it’s classic Tele sound.
  • Les Paul with p90's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    GuyR said:
    JonHosker said:

You're delirious 
    Cough is possibly Covid...no other rational explanation.  He'll be OK next week. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    The Gretsch is going to give you something more different to what you already have.

And at a later date you can always pick up an inexpensive Tele...
  • Thanks all...heading towards a 2 x wide range humbucker Fender or a Gretsch G228 - cash depending!!!
  • I have a Mexican Thinline with TV Jones Classics. Nice combination.
  • Fender CS thinline with Wide Range Humbuckers....wow...too much £ for me though!!
    How much do you want to spend?
  • That's the issue.....I have two CS Fenders, a great Strat and Jazzmaster - love everything about these, and other guitars haven't come close. but £3000 + is too much for me now.  Looking at s/hand stuff and Japanese stuff too.....I'm fickle and choosy.  Thanks for your thoughts here.