P90 Dogear Cover (Sorted)

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
edited November 2020 in Guitar
I'm after a low/short/slanted P90 dogear cover as strings are catching the edge of a standard cover. 

I need 52mm hole spacing or one with no holes but no matter where I look I can only find low/short/slanted covers with 48/50mm spacing.

I'm sure I'm not the only person ever to have this need!?

Any pointers?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20600
    Shim underneath the back/bridge side edge?
  • Not sure? I'll try with a bit of card to try. If push comes to shove I may feather it down from the front edge but whether or not that will be enough again I'm not sure.

I'm hopeful that there is a blank tapered cover out there... surely! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    No matter what alterations you make to the plastic cover, the dogear pickup’s baseplate and screw lugs will hold the pickup parallel to the flat front of the guitar body.

If the guitar has a screwed on neck, shim the pocket and raise the bridge.

Otherwise, you need the shallower dogear cover with no screw holes (yet).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I fixed this issue last week on my junior. You just sand the cover to be slanted on the neck side and it does the job. I used a flat block with 320 grit and even half a mm or so on the one side was enough.

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
    edited November 2020
    No matter what alterations you make to the plastic cover, the dogear pickup’s baseplate and screw lugs will hold the pickup parallel to the flat front of the guitar body.

If the guitar has a screwed on neck, shim the pocket and raise the bridge.

Otherwise, you need the shallower dogear cover with no screw holes (yet).
    Yes I see what you say there about the base plate lugs, though Winn Poo has had some success though I suspect I may need more than 0.5mm.

As regards the neck, it is set so no chance of shimming up.

I've ordered 6 x 52mm dogear covers from Aliexpress (£6 delivered!) and I'll try Winny Poos suggestion first as that is the easiest but I suspect that I may need to alter the cover... so I'm thinking of cutting it through the centre and either sanding a taper or even just reducing the thickness and then bonding back together. I think loctite do a plastic glue.

I'm still surprised that there isn't already a cover that would normally do the job even if I had to drill the holes.

• mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    edited November 2020
    Could 3d printing be an option if you end up stuck? Not that I know anything whatsoever about it.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited November 2020 tFB Trader
    In order to get the pickup lower with your modified cover you can do away with the baseplate lugs altogether. A bit of foam under the pickup pressing it against the cover is enough to keep it in place.
  • I thought I'd have a go at butchering the current cover knowing I had spares coming.

Basically I  screwed it to a block of wood hack-sawed it through the middle using a steel bar either side as a guide to keep the cut reasonably level. Sanded the surfaces down a little more on a sanding beam (removed best part of 2mm), then glued them back together.

There are a few residue white marks from the Loctite All Plastic glue but it is to be expected with that type of glue. 

Not too difficult and it has made a big difference.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    A bit of foam under the pickup, pressing it against the cover, is enough to keep it in place.
    In the past, I have done exactly that with a stacked coils P90-alike under a dogear cover, on a Hamer XT Junior.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    Good job!