Two P90s with a blend pot and a volume pot

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
I have this set up on a rather nice mongrel strat, but the only position I really use is the 50:50 blend, which is also hum-cancelling.

The idea is that you have an infinite 'sweep' of blend ratios between neck and bridge pickups with the hum gradually re-appearing until the hum is full fledged at the extremes of the blend pot (i.e. neck or bridge pickup on its own).

In practice however I find that as I turn the blend pot from the centre ident in wither direction, the hum returns long before the sound  changes...

(pickups now replaced with a nice Alnico 2 pair)

Both pickups solder into the blend pot, the output of which then goes to the volume pot. (Not sure if the blend pot 'loads' the pickups, but I suspect it does)

The volume pot is 250K. Not sure about the value of the blend pot.

So I was thinking of soldering both pickups directly in to the volume pot, and perhaps substituting a tone pot instead of the blend pot.

Expert opinions deep appreciated (pics below)
https://i.imgur.com/Wb5zN0m.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AAQBKAP.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I think it's definitely a good idea.

I've never found any blends of 2 pickups to be useful, it either sounds like one, both or the other. I think this is to do with how passive circuits like that work but I'm no expert on the technicalities of that, just that the theory has always been true for me in practice.

Adding a tone pot will give that warming option if you want it.

Personally I'd definitely add a 3-way switch but if you definitely only ever use both together then no need.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I would.

The both-pickups position is the one I use by far the most on any two-pickup guitar, and even more so if it’s the only hum-cancelling one.

250K volume and tone pots are actually correct for that, since that’s the effective value with a Gibson-style four-knob arrangement in the middle position - two 500Ks in parallel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Three-way selector, MV, MT. Maybe, a half-out-of-phase mode switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    Thanks chaps, lots of food for thought...