Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Reassure me about guitar wall hangers on plasterboard walls

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I wouldn't.

Those rawplugs which expand at the back are OK for hanging a photo or whatever, but they (or rather the surrounding plaster) aren't up to the job of holding a guitar an inch or two off the wall and it being taken off and put back repeatedly.

As per other comments, you need to find the wood in the supporting frame behind.

(Also make sure there aren't any electricals or pipes there.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited November 2020
    Thanks chaps for the info, lots to digest. I have a big bag of rawl plugs already but sounds like that's not enough so might have to make a list of everything mentioned here and evaluate it before going for it I guess. Despite there being probably more comments along the lines of "go for it" than not, the "don't do it" messages are obviously a bit louder to me as I'm already doubtful I can carry it off. So maybe I just need to pay somebody else to do it for me, as it's their fault then if the wall or a guitar gets wrecked...

Not sure if my house is classed as modern or not really, it's older than I am (mid 80s) but suppose that could class as modern, who knows. I'm not sure I can make sure there are no electricals or pipes behind there to be honest, wouldn't know how and if I'm to need to buy loads of bits of kit to test for it then I might as well pay somebody who knows what they are doing to do it hadn't I

The reason i'd prefer them on the bathroom wall side than the neighbours wall side is there's a chest of drawers on the neighbours side so either the guitars would be really high up (i'm a short arse) or i'd have to chuck out the drawers which seems counter productive in trying to keep the place tidy.
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom